Trulia, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

Closest airport to Manhattan?

Asked by Trulia, San Francisco, CA Thu Aug 2, 2012

What is the closest airport to Manhattan and what is the easiest and cheapest way to get there?

Katherine Gilraine’s answer
Any choice between JFK, EWR and LGA. There is public transit that easily reaches any of those airports. My recommendation is JFK; it's not the best for distance, but between the subway, LIRR, several bus lines, etc. it's the easiest to reach.
Whenever I go on vacation or away on a business trip, I always take a taxi. Taxi's are always my favorite because you don't have to worry about anything and you can just sit back and let them worry about traffic. I am bad with directions as well, so taking a taxi is really a no-brainer for me.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 10, 2014
There are 3 main airport for New York: La Guardia (LGA), John F Kennedy (JFK) and Newark (EWR)
Cheapest way would be to use MTA to LGA, less hassle would be to use MTA and AirTrain to JFK.

Below I listed your alternatives with some suggested providers that I have used before. Prices ranges are one way. All services can be used in both directions.

There are multiple ways to get to the airport depending on your need and location:

1) Car Service:
Several services where you reserve a car that picks you up and drops you at the airport terminal. Search the web for discount coupons. They usually charge a flat rate based on the airport.
(range of $40 -$ 70)

- Carmel Limo: http://(
- Dial7: http://(

2) Taxi
In New York you just lift your hand and get charged based on the meter + bridge toll prices + tip. You can also ask for a flat rate to the airport.
(range of $40 -$ 80)

3) Direct Line Bus
From Grand Central, Penn Station or Port Authority, there are direct buses line going to the airports
(range of $16 -$25)

- NYC Airporter (

4) Suttle Vans
These are shared vans that pick from your home and take you to the airport
(range of $20 -$ 30)

Take into account that you would need to reserve this about 1.5 hours before you plan to leave in case of delays because they pick up multiple passengers for the ride.
I would recommend this more for arrivals (from airport to the city) when you are not stressed with time.

- Go Airlink NYC http://(
- Super Shuttle http://(

5) Public Transportation (range $2.5 - $15)
Depending on the airport:
LGA: subway / bus to East 125 street and Lexington, M60 bus to LGA terminals (cost of a subway ride $2.5)

JFK: Subway (E train - $2.5) to Sutphin Blvd station, then the AIR TRAIN to the terminals (~$5).

EWR: MTA to Penn Station, then take NJ Transit or AMTRAK trains from Penn Station.

6) Finally you can always rent a car or use HerzConnect to reach the airport of choice.

Hope this was helpful!!! I see some good links below for info so I will just add a central one.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 2, 2013
JFK, EWR and JGA are all easily accessible...I would look more into the cost of airfare as that will be more significant than the accessibility...
Newark is only 13 miles from lower Manhattan via the Holland Tunnel...but it can easily take an hour in traffic.

JFK is about 20 is LGA...and you have a few more road options.

Its a tough call. Newark is pretty much number 1 in the US in delayed flights. Personally I'd choose JFK or LGA.

Are you flying domestic? LGA only has flights within the US.
LaGuardia. The M60 Bus gets you from there to West 110th street for $2.25
The big three airports, JFK, LaGuardia and Newark are within reasonable proximity to Manhattan but I believe th easiest one to get to by public transportation is LaGuardia. E,F, M,and R subway trains to the Roosevelt Ave stop, then get the Q33 bus which would leave you at the main terminal. It's easy to get there by Cab via 59th St Bridge to the Grand Central then straight there as well. A cab ride would be less cost effective but the hassle with luggage might make it worth while.

Kennedy is further. E train to Sutphin Blvd then the Air Train directly to whatever terminal you need. I've always thought that Newark was the furthest and most bothersome. I hope this has been helpful. Good luck.
LaGuardia, JFK, Newark!
Cheapest way - MTA
If you are heading to Manhattan the Easiest airport is JFK. You can get there by plane train or automobile Newark airport has the Amtrak that will connect but I was more comfortable being alone at JFK. for best info go to good luck.
Newark is a easily accessible by train from Manhattan via NJ transit and Amtrak from Penn Station.
You can use LaGuardia, Kennedy, or even Newark. They are about the same travel time. Go with the best airfare you can get and use any of the 3.
I completely agree with going with the best airfare. Especially when they are about the same distance. Good luck!

Dean Reese |
Flag Mon Jul 28, 2014