Largosaintke, Renter in Brooklyn, NY

Can I get a home, town house or co-op without my spouses credit being considered?

Asked by Largosaintke, Brooklyn, NY Fri Apr 5, 2013

My credit is good my spouse is a problem. I want to know can I eliminate my spouse all together in the owning prospect.

Answers

8
Madeline Padovano’s answer
Hi Largosaintke..Yes for a home condo, co-op maybe, each building, each board has different
criteria. First get your approval from a reputable lender so you know your budget. then work with
a realtor to help you find what you can afford. good luck with your search and should you need
any help feel free to contact me.
Dear Largosaintke:

You can do it as far as the mortgage is concerned. The more important question is what the co-op board will want to do and that can differ from building to building. Most co-ops will want to view both spouses credit and if one is bad it may scare them.

You will need to pose this question to the management company of each building you are considering and see what their viewpoint is on that. If I can be of further assistance, please contact me direct. Good luck!

Mitchell S. Feldman
Associate Broker/ Director of Sales
Madison Estates & Properties, Inc.
Office: (718) 645-1665/ Cell: (917) 805-0783
Email: MitchellSFeldman@aol.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 6, 2013
Hello;
Yes, you can certainly buy a co-op in your own name and using only your income and credit to qualify.
That said, some co-op boards may look at your application knowing you have a spouse, that is not on the ownership or credit application as a risk.
Speak to a credit councilor to help get your spouses credit corrected/improved. It will take a bit of time, but buying a better long term home will be much easier.
Call me if you need a referral for a credit improvement specialist.
Yours,
Kathryn Lilly, Broker
Realty on the Greene, LLC
718-614-5542
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 6, 2013
If you qualify on your own, yes; therefore visit with any licensed loan officer and see exactly what options you may have. Be aware that a mortgage pre-approval letter is required in order to determine your price range and for any offers to be taken seriously.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 6, 2013
your best bet is to consult a mortgage banker or broker but I believe that if your salary is enough to cover the mortgage without using and your debt to income is within guidelines then I believe you can get a mortgage without your spuse
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 5, 2013
Hello Largosaintke. Yes if only you are applying for a mortgage and have enough funds to qualify all around. Call me directly to discuss your situation. 718-877-9350

Rapid Realty Bedford Stuyvesant
958 Lafayette Avenue
Brooklyn, New York 11221
mmonserrate@rapidnyc.com
Yes, you can.
I have a mortgage lender who is amazing and... low rates.
Give me a call so I can show you a variety of choice properties too.

Luke Constantino
Keller Willams Real Estate
Commercial/Residential
Direct: (212) 300-3919
lukeconstantino@gmail.com
Yes, absolutely. If you would like to speak with a mortgage banker, I am happy to recommend.
Yes, please. Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Flag Fri Apr 5, 2013