Sally K, Other/Just Looking in Scarsdale, NY

Best way to commute from Armonk to Midtown NY?

Asked by Sally K, Scarsdale, NY Sun Aug 30, 2009

What is the best way to commute from Armonk to Midtown, train from White Plains or car? How does it compare to commuting from Greenwich, CT?

Answers

7
Hi Sally K,

Nancy Strong is right. North White Plains is a really great station to take off from. Many people who live in Armonk take the train from North White Plains. The train yard is located directly north of the station so for the most part, most of the trains will take off from North White Plains or they will start off from the White Plains station. Plus, North White Plains has plenty of parking. The only bad part about parking at North White Plains is that you don't want to park near the front of the lot near the river. There was a tropical storm a few years back (2004), 300 cars were destroyed by the flood. Mine was one of them. The monthly ticket in North White Plains is cheaper as opposed to Greenwich.

Here are the links that will help you make your decision. Parking is

North White Plains Station:

http://as0.mta.info/mnr/stations/station_detail.cfm?key=134

Greenwich Station:

http://as0.mta.info/mnr/stations/station_detail.cfm?key=218

If you need to know monthly ticket prices for the Harlem line

http://www.mta.info/mta/09/mnr.html

North White Plains is located in Zone 4 so it is cheaper to travel from Zone 4 than it is from any station in Zone 3.

How do I know all this info? My husband is a Metro North Train Conductor stationed out of the North White yard.

Robin Lynch
Keller Williams Realty Group
914-315-6182
Robyn, can you please tell me how to commute from Queens to Armonk?
cheaper, yes, but what is the best way? thank you in advance
Flag Wed Nov 27, 2013
Hi: Thanks for your interest in Armonk. Most commuters drive to the North White Plains train station or White Plains. NWP is closer. There are express trains. It'll take about the same amount of time as Greenwich. You can also see more information on the Metro North website. Or please feel free to call me anytime to further discuss at 914-273-9688. Thanks & have a great day. Sincerely, Michael F. Levy, Principal Broker, Grand Lux Realty. BTW, we're looking for more agents & offer a 70% commission split with no fees. If you know anybody who might be interested, I'll pay you up to $1,000 each for your agent recruits.
Thank you for your help. My husband has never commuted more than 20-25min so it sounds not bad at all.
Hi Sally,

Yu seem to have gotten good advice from all, Train from North White Plains to 42nd Street takes 39 minutes. My husband commuted for twenty-five years and we've lived here in Armonk for 35 years.
I've taught in our schools, Byram Hills and I've been a broker for twenty-seven years here. Anything you want to know about Armonk, I'd be glad to help you with. Thanks for your interest.
Alice Feldman, Houlihan Lawrence. 914-261-4907
Web Reference: http://www.alicefeldman.com
The best way is to commute from the North White Plains train station. As someone said, it takes between 10-15 minutes depending on where in Armonk you are. Many trains originate there so you have a lot of choices and the trains are clean and much more dependable then the New Haven line. The trains are also much newer and cleaner than the New Haven line. The fastest train is about 34 minutes.
First let me say that a very large percentage of commuters from Armonk commute to Grand Central Station in Manhattan. Depending on where you live in Armonk it will take 15 minutes to drive to the North White Plains train station. It is a 2-lane highway so traffic is really no problem. If you prefer to drive I would say that it will take just under one hour to get to Midtown. Either way the commute is definitely not bad. Needless to say that if you work in the Wall Street area you need to then switch from Metro North to the subway going to the Wall Street area so for that I would add another 1/2 hour.
Since my daughter lives in Greenwich and works in Manhattan I can tell you that the train takes longer and parking is almost impossible to get at the Greenwich train station so she drives in - about an hour or some and up to 1 1/2 hours to get back.
Hope this helps. If you are looking to purchase a home in the Armonk area or anywhere in Westchester County please let me know.

Jackie
Hi, There are a few ways to look at this..if you go to White Plains and have to park you will drive about 15 mins to White Plains and if you catch an express train you will be to Grand Central in 27 mins. If you drive it will take 15 mins on 684 to the Hutch, then Cross County Pkwy, to Saw Mill, To Henry Hudson (if you are going West Side). So all in all the drive, without traffic will be about 45 mins. Traffic going south in the am is usually ok, sometimes clogging on the Cross County. I personally enjoy the train because it's less of a headache.

ChristopherPagli
Licensed Associate Broker
Accredited Buyer Representative
Legends Realty Group
914.406.9023