Tech Tips in 06820>Question Details

Jctraveler, Other/Just Looking in 06820

i want to build a cabin on stilts 8' in the air. how deep should i dig my post holes?

Asked by Jctraveler, 06820 Sun Apr 11, 2010

the cabin is 16' x 32', one story with a loft. the posts will be 8' apart in all directions. i'm using 6" x 6" foundation grade posts.

0 votes Share Flag Tech Tips in 06820

Answers

5
Hi JcTraveler,

Although I am a Realtor, my husband is a builder/contractor with 25 years experience.

He suggests that you begin by testing the soil, making sure that is not wet or soft.

Your holes should be dug below the freeze line - generally 42 inches - 44 inches deep.

You'l need 12 foot - tubes/footings and he suggest that you add 4 rebar (sp?) in each sonitube...or another alternative is to use what is called a "big foot" tube.

You can give him a call if you need additional information at 203-515-0280. His name is Nicholas.
Hope this helps.

Linda
This is a better question to ask a qualified builder or contractor. Realtors are not really qualified to answer a question such as this.
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
Check out your frost level in your area. I would go at least one foot deeper. (yes, find someone who really knows) Then I would wrap plastic bags around the posts. I know it sounds silly. But that smooth plastic will not be grabbed by the frost and heave the lost like a post just in the ground will.

I would want someone who really knows to give the best answer here. The reasons is simple. You not only have to worry about frost heaving. You also need to worry about wind stresses and weight from the structure trying to move everything around. 8' of empty space with nothing touching the ground is a lot of stress on any post trying to put it all together.
Interesting post.........

One would have to wonder why the importance to elevate this structure? This question would no doubt be best directed to a structural engineer for their input.

That will depend on the soil in your chosen location, the frost line and the materials used to build your cabin. I would consult with a local builder and/or engineer. You can also ask more questions about building to code when you apply for your building permit.