Tech Tips in 92108>Question Details

Deborah Garv…, Real Estate Pro in San Diego, CA

Why would anyone join a social media site and not be social? Why would anyone not at least fill out a profile?

Asked by Deborah Garvin, San Diego, CA Wed Aug 10, 2011

I am looking for a listing agent for a property in Evansville, IN and, being very active on Trulia and several other social media sites, I obviously would start here to find a reputable and motivated agent. My question is more about the insanity of joining any social media site and not using it than my need to find an agent. I have tried to research agents/other professionals on several sites and well over 75% have joined the site and did little more than post a picture and a phone number. I specifically would NOT employ someone who did not take the time to establish a connection with the audience of any particular group. I wonder what others think. Putting this under home buying because there is no sub-category that relates.

1 vote Share Flag Tech Tips in 92108

Answers

6
Come on Candace.................do you really hold yourself in such high esteem? Stalkers? You look cute but the last thing I'm worried about on a RE blog is a "STALKER". Now if you were on a porn site I might be a little concerned.
It's called stumbling blocks. Lot's of folks push the send prompt before they even know what they're responding to. Neophytes trying to get into the social media game are kinda probing their way through. Give them a little time. It took me almost a year to figure out that once I joined Active Rain I had to complete a profile.
Hi Deborah,

I agree with you, I believe some agents just don't get it, especially when Trulia doesn't require payment to fill out a good bio (most sites don't). Now, if an agent is just more old school, that's not bad either, but you'll have to reach out in more traditional ways. You could always seek out listing agents like you did here, by writing to agents there, like you did here. You'll probably be inundated with no-thought-involved "I'm the best agent, call me" responses, to much more thought out responses. At least it'll be a start.

Cory
Deborah,
Great question!
From having read agent responses to questions like "Is paying for Pro worth it?" or "How many deals have you closed because of your Trulia profile?' the overwhelming sentiment is 'Well, it might work...some day."

Folks must choose where they will spend their precious time. For many, committing the real energy and time to make social media work pays fewer dividends than actually meeting flesh and blood home owners and buyers. These agents may have reviewed all the look alike profiles on Trulia and didn't want to look alike.

It's not fear, nor is it laziness, it's a choice made on an individual basis reflecting their expectation. One may say it is self-fulfilling. Just as that is a choice you expressed not to use someone who did not take the time to etablish a connection with the audience, others have stated they would not do business with anyone who did not use REALTOR(r) properly. Isn't it the choices we make that makes this world a more interesting place?

I would be looking at their listing count as a better indicator of their success, not their profile.
What activity does create the greatest consumer response on Trulia?
While I agree with Candice to some degree,but I have to admit that if one is to use this medium successfully, one should complete their profile.

Like it was said, would you contact someone whose profile was bland, generic, or incomplete? Just ask yourself that question.
I think maybe some people are hesitant to place a picture because there are some weird stalker crazies out there who specifically look for people on these sites for reasons that might be dangerous. Others are just lazy.