Tech Tips in 90670>Question Details

Calista, Other/Just Looking in 90807

What school of real estate is best for a young beginner?

Asked by Calista, 90807 Mon Jul 30, 2007

I have approx. 2yrs at UCLA & haven't been able to decide my true calling. I would like to enter the work force via practical real estate experience. i am confused with all the schools - class room versus on line. What is best for a beginner like me?

0 votes Share Flag Tech Tips in 90670

Answers

16
I personally prefer online courses just because of its convenience. The schools I've used with their online resources are http://www.alliedschools.com and http://www.lumbleau.com. If you are looking for a more hands-on approach then attending the classes would be better. There you can meet other people just like you, network with them, and be able to ask questions and get them answered immediately. Between the two online schools, if you need some guidance use Allied but if you want a leave-me-alone, hands off approach, use Lumbleau.

Remember that classes just teach you the basics, the rules and regulations, which gives you an idea of how things work in the real estate industry. But for real experience and really understand how a career in real estate will be like, you should apply for an internship with a real estate brokerage or perhaps ask a realtor you admire for the opportunity to become their assistant for a bit. Nothing is better than real-life experience!
Web Reference: http://www.simpluxe.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 3, 2007
I always go with Lumbleau Real Estate School. They have the largest database of test questions. They also guarantee you'll pass! If not they give a 100% refund on the exam preparation. As Ellen has stated, it is up to you to study. You can't just expect to buy a program and pass. Do the work and you'll be selling real estate just like the rest of us.
Flag Wed Aug 20, 2014
I would consider using Anthony Schools or the University Program. The have live and on line programs. Good luck.
Web Reference: http://pamwinterbauer.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 10, 2007
Pam Winterba…, Real Estate Pro in Danville, VA
Very Simple...Real estate school teaches how to obtain a license and then the rules, regulations and laws needed to comply with to keep it. What it does not teach...How to be successful as a Realtor. That is where joining a great firm comes in. Make sure that your firm has an outstanding training program.
Web Reference: http://www.jordanbaris.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 30, 2007
Bridgette's answer is great. You're going to get your practical experience after you get your license. The computer/book lessons are helpful but not practical to real life situations. Be sure to find an office that offers a lot of training and hands-on assistance. Some offices will reimburse your school expenses if you sign up to work for them.

When you're looking for an office to work for there's one thing that I wish I had known: You're interviewing them, not the other way around. Ask what they provide for you!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 30, 2007
Calista, I answered this question in detail to an agent seeking a company which provides "hands-on" training. You need to pass "the test". You'll also need to have some minimum educational requirements before getting licensed (I'm in California), other than that the schools are NOT going to teach you the day to day actions needed to be successful in Real Estate. Buy, "The Millionaire Real Estate Agent" by the CEO of Keller Williams Realty, Gary Keller. It was on the New York Times Best Seller lists for months and will give you the plan you need "Post-License". Go get 'em Tiger!"
Allied business schools for your initial education requirements and then mentoring with a true professional would be what I would recommend. No school provides what you will need to truly learn the real estate business.
I like California License.com. INexpensive....basic....great tutorial. I easily passed the test the first time around.
Web Reference: http://www.cindihagley.com
The Hagley G…, Real Estate Pro in Pleasanton, CA
Allied Schools is one of the best. We teach there course in our office to new agents. I prefer online to going to class. Once you get your license you should be thinking about what real estate company is going to continue to expand your education. Real Estate is always changing. New rules and new laws come around every year. A few good whys to learn as you earn is to become an assistant to a real estate team. Some teams hire new comers to go out and shoot their photos and input their listings into MLS websites and design flyers. This is a good way to learn from the inside and keep some cash in your pocket. Companies like Keller Williams Realty have classes in all their offices year around. Most of our offices have classes daily. Classes run from the day to day task of real estate to how to work your data base. Find a local office near you and find out what they can do for you. Some offices even have license prep classes. Remember real estate can be the most rewarding jobs around but it take work and you can never stop getting leads. Selling real estate is only part of the job the main part is getting leads. Without leads you will not sell real estate. Check out my website and see what Keller Williams Realty can do for you. Good Luck.
Web Reference: http://www.4saletours.com
Anthony Schools. I went through their course in 1979 and I referred people to them as a manager over the years. They boast a 100% pass rate.
Hello Calista:

Getting the real estate, unfortunately, for the full time, career, Realtors, is quite easy - that's why we have a lot of Realtors out there with a license.....

I went to California Department of Real Estate website, looked up what courses are necessary, decided the topics which interested me the most and used the online school http://www.Allliedschools.com for the courses, and received my real estate liscense that way. So, that's the easy part.

However, the difficult part is how you can really learn about real estate, the career, and how to be successful as a Realtor. This is what you should really concentrate on.

While I was waiting for my license to show up, I went and interviewed with a few most reputable companies in Marin. My goal is to find the best company with the best reputation whch offers the best training programs and support for me.

My company, Frank Howard Allen Realtors, http://www.FHALLEN.com, did just that. We have great in house training programs which taught and continues to teach me about contacts, legal issues, marketing, lead generation, presentation, ..etc, everything that helps me to be successful. On top of that, we have very supportive office, manager and Realtors who are all eager to talk to young Realtors. This gave me a great start in my career..... O.K. I can go on and on, but that's the nutshell.
Sylvia Barry,…, Real Estate Pro in Marin, CA
Hello Calista, first I would contact a local real estate agent and ask them if they would be willing to have you on their team. Learn the business by working with a licensed agent. While you learn the "ropes" you can then attend the real estate school closest to your home. I recommend Kaplan or Anthony's School in the Los Angeles area. The best advice is to work with a great mentor in the neighborhood where you choose to live! Good luck and much success to you!
Ask some of the brokers in your area. Just go to 2-3 of the big companies and ask to meet with the broker of record or office manager. They'll point you in the right direction. I have done online and live classes. I didn't particularly like the online class. I felt like in Real Estate it was valuable to have input of the class and questions from the class and be interactive. It was a good place to pick up business as well. Seems like most of the people in the class were thinking of buying or selling. I'd guess only 10-15% were actually able to get a license. Therefore you've got a huge network of potential customers if you network well. I took most of the license classes at a community college. That worked well for me. I only took the online to meet my timeframe when the college did not offer the right courses for me at the right times to meet my schedule.
Web Reference: http://www.teamlynn.com
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
I took my classes online. You might look into proeducate.com. They are not licensed in all states. For a young professional, online may be best. I agree with the others, that after receive your license, you will need to get in a training based company. If you want some ideas please don't hesitate to contact me.
Carrie Crowell
Web Reference: http://carriecrowell.com
I am a fan of California License.com, an online course program that I beleive costs $99. It is not as good as Anthony Schools, however, I just memorized all of the answers and passed the exam easily. What is critical is that once you are licensed, you choose a broker that provides training classes and perhaps even a mentor to help you through your first few transactions. Oh- and don't let anyone talk you out of it because of "market conditions." This is a great industry, and if you are disciplined and do the work, you will be a success! Best of luck!
Calista, When I got my license I used Anthony Schools, and they did a great job. I can definately see the advantage to the on-line classes, as I loke to move at a fast pace. I know that many of the larger companies also offer the classes free, I'm not sure if you committ to hanging your license with them or what, however. My son took classes at the local college. There are many choices, however I would strongly suggest that no matter how you take the class, be sure to do one of the "weekend intensive" classes just before taking your class. They tell you what some of the "trickier" questions are to expect on the test and you will do much better on the test if you take that. In California anyway, there are a few questions that really have nothing to do with your knowledge of the law, etc. Certain questions are worded in such a way as to just want to trip you up. You really aren't sure WHAT the heck they are really asking there. The intensive weekend classes discuss these questions and say, simply "When you see this question, answer this....."

Good luck to you. Real estate is a wonderful career.

Patti Phillips
2007 President, North San Diego County Women's Council of Realtors
Encinitas, CA
800-680-9133
Calista,
I've done both. Personally, I prefer the self-paced online courses (I like to go quickly). And there is help when you take online classes (you could ask questions here!) but, not necessarily at the exact moment you need it. Plus classroom interaction can be helpful, not to mention fun. It really depends on your learning style. When you become licensed, no one will know or care if you took your classes online or in person as long as your certification is done by a well respected school. Call several "Brokers of Record" at the top companies in your area and ask which school they recommend. Best of luck!