Question Details

Eric Pointer, Real Estate Pro in Ann Arbor, MI

What is the best way to find buyers for Vacant land?

Asked by Eric Pointer, Ann Arbor, MI Fri Aug 10, 2007

Answers

17
It's all about targeting the right people. Try targeting your marketing towards those who can afford vacant lots and people whose dreams are to build their own properties. Consider people such as: real estate developers, baby boomers, soon-to-retire individuals, or Realtors like yourself.

You can also look to certain companies and organizations that have a concentration of people that may fall in the above mentioned roles such as investment companies (i.e. Charles Schwab, Fidelity), financial advising companies (i.e. Morgan Stanley, Merrill Lynch). There may be a higher concentration of people who can both afford and want to build their own custom homes or to build income-producing properties. Try linking yourself to financial advisors who may already know of people who have these types of dreams. This isn't a comprehensive answer of all the possibilities but just some thoughts. Good luck!
hi, am jumah bwanika from east africa uganda. i have 120acars of land am selling but i have no potential buyer.... can you help me get on.
email. jumahbwanika@gmail.com
Flag Sun Jan 27, 2013
If you need to find a buyer fast, our company is in the land buying business. If you've got time to wait for a few months, then get it posted on your standard online sites (don't underestimate Craigslist!) and consider hiring an agent. If that doesn't work out or you don't feel like waiting, we've got a network of buyers at Landmark Property Buyers.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 27, 2012
Hello there, I'm In Kenya I have various lands that I'm selling can you help me find a serious buyer? I work as a marketer for a 3 man property seller. All our title deeds are legit and we'll do a thorough search before having each piece of land sold. Thanks
Flag Sun May 29, 2016
Ok. I can Wait.But wanted to get it done.Can you do it. and How long will it take
Thx.
Flag Fri Nov 20, 2015
I requested a quote 13 days ago & I accept the fact that you are back logged & it could take up to 14 days to get a written response. I just hope that you seriously consider our property for purchase. It really is a great lot. We had plans 13yrs ago to build a house with a walkout basement & even add a pole barn to the property. Times change, situations change & we've been trying to sell this since 2008. I'll keep my fingers crossed & hope that I hear a response with an offer very soon. I appreciate that you look at every property & realize it might take a little longer than 2 weeks to hear something. Thank you very much for your consideration. Amy
Flag Mon Aug 5, 2013
Eric: In addition to advertising the property, I would also contact local builders, contractors and architects to see if they have any clients seeking what you have.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Aug 11, 2007
Roberta Murp…, Real Estate Pro in Carlsbad, CA
Owner financing is the best way to go here. You open up yourself to so many buyers if land who otherwise cannot afford a piece of land with a huge cash price
Web Reference: http://www.webuyland1.com
If you are looking off market lands in FL. Please email me at ckapropertyinvestments@gmail.com
i believe am learning alot from comments below, i of one deals in lands in Uganda East Africa for sell.
but its real difficult to get potential and serious buyers for such good offers. We have lands for agriculture with lots of fertile lands, for commercial purposes , for entertainment purposes etc.

i believe i will learn from the comments here so as to sell off my property appropriately.

anthony
alindaantho@gmail.com
Appx 20 yrs ago I purchased vacant land outside of Las Vegas. How do I sell it?
Wanted to sell my land and the Antique house in Galle Sri lanka to the Forigen Buyer so how can i do it
I agree with Ellen Chung, finding the right type of buyer to target is very important. Also, you should consider the amount of time you have to sell the land. If you are short on time due to back taxes owed or other financial obligations, your best bet may be to talk to a vacant land investor. You will not get the full market price for your property, but the typically can pay cash and close quickly.

In order to determine the right buyer for your land, look at the highest and best use to determine where to start placing ads. If it is country land that is perfect for hunting, look for local outdoor forums and clubs to advertise your land. If it is a good home site, a land broker or traditional real estate agent may be best. You can also contact the neighbors, who may be interested in extending their property.

Hope this helps!
Am I missing something? Where is the land located? How is it zoned? How much land is involved. We're looking for commercial property. Minimum 30k/sf for express car wash locations throughout Riverside, Palm Desert, Palm Springs, Temecula, San Diego and Orange County.
Find out the best and highest use and perhaps look into getting the plans and permits for the project.
In areas that this takes time and energy, you will get a premium for a ready to go project!
It depends on a number of factors, are you trying to find cash buyers for your land, what is your time frame to sell the land, and are you trying to get full market value for the property, and how much work do you want to do to sell it? Depending on your answer to those questions the method by which you decide to list and market the property is going to be different.

If you have plenty of time and are not in a hurry to sell the property, and would like to do very little work I would suggest listing it with a broker. They will be able to create a listing for the property, answer phone call and emails, and handle the closing. The downside of this approach is comes at a price and you typically only get local exposure and most real estate agents who deal with both land and homes will most likely put more effort into selling their homes as the commissions are greater.

If you have more time and are willing to put in some work you can try listing the property yourself on one of the big national land listing sites, some sellers have had success with this approach however you can still expect a long sales cycle which is pretty typical of most land sales.

Other options to consider are selling your land with owner financing which makes it easier for people to afford. Trying to find cash buyers can be difficult depending on your asking price and banks don't typically want to lend on vacant land. Also, if you have land you want to sell in a hurry and you'd like to get cash for it there are a number of wholesale land buyers that make be interested in making you a cash offer for your land.
Web Reference: http://www.easylandsell.com
I have a brokerage in Indiana, Kentucky, and Tennessee that focuses specifically in land, so what I have done is created a nationwide advertising service to attract more buyers. I advertise on several investor channels like CNBC, Bloomberg, Fox Business and then also channels watched by people interested in land and the outdoors like the Outdoor Channel.

It is nationwide but has a local emphasis through geotargeting technology.
Web Reference: http://www.landlister.com
Even in today's market there are still some people who will make you an offer on your vacant land.

Like me, if your land is in the deserts of Southern California.

Whether your land is listed with a broker, or not.

But STAY AWAY from the professional low-ballers... "Land Research Foundation", "Asset Holding Corporation", anyone who sends you a zip-sorted bulk mailing. Their offer will be abysmally low.

Even I won't pay as much as you want. Try listing through a local real estate agent first. If your land sells, you don't need me. If your land doesn't sell after the usual six month listing, look me up.

Mike Nosanov
Glendale, CA
I thought they did a great job. Yeah the offer was a bit low, but lets be honest its a piece of property in the middle of no where, with nothing around. They paid all the fee's attached to it and even paid the last years back owed taxes. Seemed like a good deal to me and gave me a nice $1500.00 for something I had no need for anymore any.
Flag Fri Jun 13, 2014
I suggest you go to your local real estate clubs and get more buyers there! You know, its like if you wanted to find a job really quick. You can go to several head hunters, several temp to hire agency, and you can put all these people to work for you - for not a dime of your money. Thats what I call people leveraging. When your at home, you are going to have several people calling you back to tell you about offers they have for you and you can then cherry pick the offers and take the one that best fits you. Real estate clubs are full of people who want to find you buyers - these people are called wholesalers. And guess what, you can have as many as you need. I say, work smart not hard!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 9, 2008
Eric
I suggest markeitng your property to local property owners who have similar lots.
Be careful to know your seller's motivation and objectives.
Keith
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
That's tricky. It is not as easy to find a buyer for land as it is for a residence. Not all buyers have the resources or the vision to do a project like that. I would say try marketing to a builder that will put something on it, or try marketing to those that would like to build. First, and most important is location. What is in the area. Is it a highly sought after residential area, is it a commercial area. Know what your zoning is, and who this piece of property would appeal to. You have to have some kind of a vision for who it would suit in order to know who and where to market it.
Web Reference: http://carriecrowell.com
8 acres of coffee land for sale on Coorg district Karanataka India. Area name Cherumbane . The location is Tahalecavery road. Red soil. That road facing. Land is suitable for form house/Guest House. Full water sources. Clear documents. Agriculture interested persons contact. +91 - 8971918797 or Email -kiranbadan@yahoo.com
Flag Tue Jun 14, 2016