Tech Tips in Poolesville>Question Details

Gail Lee, Re…, Real Estate Pro in Poolesville, MD

What are you doing different out there with your OPEN HOUSES?

Asked by Gail Lee, Realtor, Poolesville, MD Wed Oct 6, 2010

I am making sure every open is on line everywhere including the papers online too...putting out open sunday riders and personally inviting my entire email mailing list, post it on my fanpage on Facebook too.

Answers

4
I like the idea of offering brunch and pizza to those who come by and tour the house. I think the cheapest way to go is put signs on major roads with arrows pointing where the open house is. If you put balloons on the signs it gets drivers attention so you might get more people to just stop by.
Now with social media playing such an important part of exposing listing to potential buyers...I always post my opens on Facebook.com/GailLeeHomes***I put out OPEN SUNDAY Signs and riders on Fridays before my opens to alert local buyers***I have an extensive email list of all the Realtors in our area that have either worked with me personally or who have toured my listings over the years right here in our area and make sure they know I will honor their buyers***I give personal TOURS of Poolesville to both buyers and their agents...I love where I live and it is easy to share our area! AND don't forget Realtor.com, Trulia.com and WashingtonPost.com....Getting my Opens out there is IMPORTANT!!!!***We have the #1 High School in the State of Maryland two years in a row***Welcome to Poolesville...the Best Kept COMMUTING Secret in Montgomery Country!
Gail,

It sounds like you have a good plan....whether or not it's productive, most sellers like to see their homes visibly out there.......

One of the most important factors about using "Open Houses" as an effective marketing tool is the homes location. The home that is located in a high traffic and public location will have the ability to reach far more potential buyers than one the is tucked away in an obscure area. When taking listinge, if a seller in a remote location is looking for frequent "open houses" we may shy away from taking the listing .

Part of a good marketing plan is knowing how best to use your time......burning time doing an open house in an isolated lcation may cost an agent unproductive time and money.....

Our advice....."look before you leap."

Gail - It sounds as though you are covering your bases!

I try to change the time of the open houses to either early or later in the day. In the morning (10am-2pm) - I invite folks to stop in for BRUNCH where I serve coffee and bagels. Other times I will do a late open ((2pm-6pm) and serve pizza.

There is a great deal of competition for time. If buyers are out to see a lot of homes on any given weekend - they may not have time for yours. If you make the time before or after the majority of existing open houses - you stand a much better chance of seeing them.

My traffic to opens is up 30% since I started this strategy. Not too shabby!

Good luck! Stop down and see me in Potomac and Bethesda....

If you like the answer - make it a BEST ANSWER!

Gerry Dunn
Associate Broker
703-216-9100

Serving Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C. for 28 years
Gerard, I would do Opens before football games in the fall/winter...so with a 1 pm kickoff...I would do 11am opens...giving some people options before the games begin. I always have bottled water and loads of community information available. Often have fresh baked cookies...I keep it smile. I also invite a lender to join me too....it helps when I have more than one party to give attention too.blessings,
Gail
Flag Sat Oct 5, 2013
Gail
Flag Sat Oct 5, 2013