Tech Tips in Alameda>Question Details

Jean Powers,…, Real Estate Pro in Alameda, CA

We have more agents in Northern California than ever. Does anyone have good tips on how to get new business?

Asked by Jean Powers, CRS, e-PRO, SFR, HAFA certified, Alameda, CA Sat Aug 25, 2007

Answers

7
Jean, Network, network, network! I am involved in numerous community and business groups, including Kiwanis, National Charity League, Women's Council of Realtors, BNI (Business Network International, 3 seperate Seniors Networking groups and more. I also attend numerous other networking meetings, such as Chamber of Commerce, etc.

The bottom line is, the more people who you know, and who know you, the more likely you are to have business. I also put on seminars for buyers, and sellers. In today's market you have to be out there, be willing to help others and show people you have something to offer that other agents don't.

I market like a maniac, to past clients, my sphere of influence and to others I meet.

In my office I hear other agents moan and groan that "there is just no business out there." Funny, those are the same people who tell me I am "nuts" to be involved in these networking organizations- because they are "a waste of time." I don't see them out the door early in the AM, I never see them in there in the evenings when I am meeting clients or writing up offers and counter offfers. I also- never see their names on the sales and listing boards!

There is PLENTY of business out there Jean, for those who are willing to focus on it and spend the time and energy to cultivate it!

You may want to get involved with some coaching. A good coach and coaching company can help you to maintain focus and figure out the best way to obtain clients!

Good luck and great wealth!

Patti Phillips
800-680-9133
Get face to face with people. Spend as little money as you can to get started and think of every way you can to do whatever you want to do for FREE. I encourage all agents to do this. Be creative. Instead of paying for newspaper advertising is there another way you can get in the newspaper for FREE? Could you write the article? Could you do something innovative? Do you have a different focus or strategy. Don't mail anything to anyone that you are willing to follow up with a phone call. When you are talking to friends and family ask for their help. Ask them where they would go to get business.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 26, 2007
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
I started 2 years ago. Had no business, but did a lot of floor time and invested everything I made back into my business--website, advertising, tech equipment. The key to my success has been a great listing that I picked up. It is the cheapest house in a very expensive town. I haven't sold my listing, but I have sold 11 other homes from leads that came in from that listing!
Web Reference: http://www.dianeglander.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 26, 2007
Don't focus on the other agents.
Web Reference: http://www.cindihagley.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 26, 2007
Cindi Hagley…, Real Estate Pro in San Ramon, CA
Patti is right. Get in some networking groups. Great answer Patti
Web Reference: http://carriecrowell.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 26, 2007
Jean,
I would suggest taking a class on lead generation. We are in the business of lead generation. That is where we get our new business from. Keller Williams Realty offers a great class. If you have a local office near you check to see if they have a course scheduled in the area. CRS offers a great class for this as well. The "Millionaire Real Estate Agent" book by Gary Keller is a good read.
Web Reference: http://carriecrowell.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Aug 25, 2007
Jean, I agree with Bruce--- don't waste time with newspaper ads- they are a total waste in our culture today. The only thing they do is make your sellers think you are doing something for them. I try to educate mine to know they are pretty much useless.

He is right though about getting in the newspaper. I took my own horn whenever I can by doing press releases about anything I can. When I am involved in a community event, become president of an organization, earn a designation, whatever. I have been asked by other agents who my "pr" company is. Many of my clients and sphere comment on how often they see what I am doing, and that they know I have "really arrived" as an agent. I often take the articles and make them part of my monthly mailing campaign. You have to keep first and foremost in people's minds!

Patti Phillips
2007 President, North San Diego County Women's Council of Realtor's