Tech Tips in Canyon Country>Question Details

Samy,  in Canyon Country, CA

We bought a house in canyon country. It has an illegal (no permits on file) 2 room additions in the back. SCBS demands permits. Can I fight.?

Asked by Samy, Canyon Country, CA Mon Aug 22, 2011

The rear patio was converted into two separate bedrooms. The house was built in 1962. Building and safety shows a covered patio but they don't have the plans. We wanted to remove the illegal exterior walls and leave the original patio as is. However, they want us to bring it up to current code. Which is very costly. Can we fight their decision and argue the fact that the house had the original patio that was built according to old building codes. Thank you

Laura Coffey’s answer
Keep in mind if you ever resale if the home is not done to proper code with permits it can cause you difficult times in the future. Weigh your options and choose what is best for you.
Good Luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 22, 2011
You can try as I had a client who asked for proof of a structure permit and they could not find any paperwork at all since it was done before Santa Clarita became a city. So the question would be can they prove the previous owners did not take out a permit when it was the County of Los Angeles? The other problem you may have is that once you start work, it does need to be brought up to current code not the code at the time it was built.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 22, 2011
You can but it will be very tough. Cities are hurting for money and this is one way to get some. If you had plans then you might be able to fight ti but with out them they are pretty much in the the drivers seat. I would recommend you elevate the case and request a hearing. Might be your only shot.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 22, 2011
If I am fined for not bringing up the codes, do I have to pay. What is the worset case scenario?

Is there a legal respresentative I can hire?