Kira, Home Owner in Brooklyn, NY

Two electricity meters in a single family house legal or not?

Asked by Kira, Brooklyn, NY Fri Dec 28, 2012

I just want to make sure is it legal to have two electricity meters reading for two different floors in a single family house? Thanks.

Answers

6
Kathryn Lilly’s answer
In the past it has been possible, but codes have tightened up to restrict the practice.
By todays codes it would be almost impossible to get a second meter installed. The exception would be if plans were filed to rewire the building so that the landlord had what could be construde as the landlords lights (outside, celler for heat and hot water etc) on a separate meter. But even in this scenerio, it is a little suspect because if an owner was renting out an entire one family house, it is easier just to have the tenant pay for all of their electric use. The cost to separate would be prohibitive for the purpose.
The codes are set so lanlords cannot over use a house and avoid other muliple dwelling codes. (Fire Codes.Although a two family in NYC is not considered a muliple dwelling)
It is illegal to use a one family as a two family, so why would you need/want two electric meters/accounts?
Call a licensed electrican for more specifics to your situation.
Hope this helps?
Yours
Kathryn Lilly, Broker
Realty on the Greene, LLC
718-858-7600
It's legal only if you use it for one you home and maybe a apartment or office that the only way you can have two meters,I hope it help Kira my name is Jose Del Rio I am master electrician
KIRA, ITS LEGAL, THE HOUSE MUST HAVE BEEN A 2 FAM AT ONE TIME AND CONVERT TO A SINGLE FAM BUT IT MIGHT BE A GOOD IDEA TO REMOVED ONE OF THE METER BECAUSE YOU WILL BE CHARGED WITH 2 ELECTRIC BILL EVERY MTH.
Hi Kira,

Could it be that the house was a two family converted to one but they left the meters in case they wanted to convert back to two in the future?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 28, 2012
Dear Kira:

You probably can put a separate electric meter in if you desired, however doing so will not change the legal use of your property. If you have a one family house it will still be a one family house regardless. Some people think that if a home has two electric meters that it is a legal two family. That is not the case, the number of electric meters has no bearing on the legal use. If you are in Brooklyn, your best bet would be to call Con Edison and go over it with them. If you already have an account with Con Edison you can reference your account number when acquiring the information from them. If I can be of further assistance, please let me know. Good luck!

Mitchell S. Feldman
Associate Broker/ Director of Sales
Madison Estates & Properties, Inc.
Office: (718) 645-1665/ Cell: (917) 805-0783
Email: MitchellSFeldman@aol.com
Check with the buildings department-- http://www.nyc.gov/html/dob/html/contact/contact.shtml