Question Details

Paul Renton &…,  in Atlanta, GA

Search Engine Optimization (SEO's), the good the bad the Ugly!!!

Asked by Paul Renton & Terri Schrews, Atlanta, GA Thu Sep 6, 2007

Who uses SEO's, How much does it cost and what are the Returns???

I am sending you a link to a great post on Active Rain by Laurie Manny on organic SEO:
Organic SEO does work. It takes some effort but with a little bit of ingenuity you can make 1st page of Google on selected keywords in no time. Of course, some keywords are more difficult than others, but you might be surprised how much can be done without spending a penny. If you like Laurie's post you might want to join Blogging and SEO group on Active Rain. Good Luck!
Web Reference:
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 6, 2007
Artur Urbans…, Real Estate Pro in Burlingame, CA
I think local advertising of your domain name(s) is more effective than trying to increase your luck with organic search results. There's only so much room on that first page. The reality is that most web searchers never get past that first page of search result. Since the algorithms that search engine companies use for their crawlers seem to change frequently and the criteria for search engine placement seems to also be moving targets, you really have to hire someone who knows what they are doing. Large companies spend thousands of dollars to stay on top. I am the chair of the tech committee in our office and I am trying to find a speaker on that very subject. I read up on it myself and it makes me dizzy just thinking about it. There's a lot to know and the average person can't do it. Some real estate website companies offer SEO as a separate service, but I don't know of anyone personally who has utilized it. I think that your money is spent better in trying to spread the word about your domain name (i.e., include it with every marketing piece and encourage people to use it).
Web Reference:
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 6, 2007
Ute Ferdig -…, Real Estate Pro in ,
The SEO industry is changing rapidly as Search Engines are tightening their grip over low quality links and content in order to produce good results.

Before these updates many SEO's who were not use to with quality work were ruling the search results for their clients and charging good amount of money, but now their sites have been taken down and their clients have learned a lesson who were preferring quantity instead of quality.

I really like Catherine's response. Long tail keyword searches are 4+ work searches. Since you're in Atlanta, it could get as specific as a community name. The best luck I've found are 4-10 word searches that are ULTRA specific.

Platforms matter also. TRULIA is great, AR takes more time, wordpress is very powerful in the right hands and so is a website with Squidoo. The latter is one of my main sites and secret weapons for SEO. Just stay consistent and stick to a few sites.

I wrote a blog about it.…
SEO for real estate agents is relatively easy to understand and apply. You can be on the first page of Google within few hours using other vendor’s blogging platforms such as Trulia and ActiveRain. Thanks to hyper local long tail keywords (i.e "North Edison real estate statistics"...).

However it is very time consuming as in order to stay on the first page of SEs and to be found for many different local long tail keywords you need to publish consistently many blog posts and WebPages. Then you need to link all your online contents, etc...

If you do it yourself, then your time is involved. You can hire a VA ($40/hour) or if you have a bigger budget a full blown vendor. The problem with hiring somebody else is that SEO is about consistency. Meaning when you stop your SEO efforts you'll find your websites decreasing in ranking results very quickly.
Basically you cannot stop if you want to keep on seeing a return.

What are the returns? It can provide you with a consistent flow of business (as long as you keep on putting forth SEO efforts...)

I hope it makes sense....
TO answer the original question "Who use's SEO's, How much does it cost and what are the returns"?

I work for a web developer in the Real Estate industry and at this point I believe around 25% of our clients use SEO as a marketing strategy.

It range's. It's is similar in theory to geographic farming. Except instead of mailing address's you have search terms. Your cost is dependent on how many of these search's you want to "capture". An average one time cost would range between one to three thousand. An aggressive agent would spend more for longer.

As far as returns go don't take my word for it see what our clients have to say.

It's good to see so many weigh in on this topic. I AM a Search Engine Optimization consultant and despite the age of this post, I was inclined to comment. Ute is right when she says that SEO is an ever moving target with variables that seem to shift. Ultimately, since Google still dominates the search engine market their rules are most prevalent. And while many of those rules change a few stay constant.

1. Relevant Keyword Rich Content (pages of text)
2. A descriptive domain name (like
3. Getting Links or "vote's of confidence"

You might need a little advice on how to draw attention to that content but Google's goal is the same now as it has been in the past. To provide searchers the best most complete answer to whatever query was input.

Google has educated us on how to present that information in a way their program will understand. The result is an ever growing amount of information both for Google to index and for us the users to reference. While this make's it daunting for the uninitiated here are a few tips from a guy that is doing Real estate SEO all day every day and has captured some of the most competitive real estate terms on the web for his clients.

Search is trending towards super specific terms. Where as in the past people would search the term "atlanta homes for sale" they are now inputting North Decatur Homes for sale ....and if they are looking for a condo instead of a house they would input "North Decatur Condo For sale". Bottom line is that few real estate companies, even one's that dabble in SEO have taken advantage of this trend. Leaving an ever increasing amount of traffic open for capture with a relatively low investment point.

I hope you found this helpful. For more advice or if you want to talk further about SEO goto:

Or email me at

Web Reference:
The return for SEO is HUGE if done properly. BEWARE of having someone building non-industry relevant backlinks, etc.

Run a free report on your site using and you can see what your site is missing.
Depends what you are calling SEO, I am an internet publisher, I publish peoples content on my site and I publish content on other sites as well. My site is, I publish on,,,, lender411 to name a few. Search engines love relevant content. You need to make your articles at least 500 words or more.

I have more info on my forum at
I have had good results with Google adwords for optimization and has placed me on the first page. In addition some of the sydication's provide a strong internet presence. I regulary use vflyer, postlet and point2agent and they all syndicate so when you Google me there are pages of history.
Web Reference:
Pam Winterba…, Real Estate Pro in ,
I use a great guy out of NC. In a matter of 2 weeks he has gotten me to the first page of both Yahoo and MSN for a few of the keyword searches he recommended. Costs $500/mo for 6 months with guaranteed placement on the first page of all 3 (google is the 3rd) within that time or you get your money back or he works for you for free till you are there. If you want his contact info, email me at
Web Reference: