Tech Tips in San Francisco>Question Details

Michael Bies…, Real Estate Pro in San Francisco, CA

Realtors: How do you feel about using online video to market your listings?

Asked by Michael Biesemeyer, San Francisco, CA Wed Jul 9, 2008

I don't see a whole lot of real estate video for listings in the SF Bay Area. What are some of the hesitations for realtors?

Answers

10
Cheryl Bower, CRS,GRI,ABR,ePro’s answer
As Jed pointed out, depending on one's Inet connection there can be loss in audio/video quality. You offer a nice product.

As mentioned, sure agents can handle the dozens of details that are involved in marketing a property but a better use of our time is delegating some of these tasks to the specialists so that we can be spending either more direct time with clients or developing new business. I rarely take my own photos but hire it out & I'd very likely hire out video.

You may be hearing from me for my next listing.
I definitely think that savvy agents who have several listings and clients to handle would prefer to hire a professional video producer than do it themselves. 1 hour less filming for an agent = 1 more hour generating leads, open houses, or even relaxing ^^. This is however probably for the more busy agents in the higher end markets. Very creative logo!

*part of the Trulian team ^^
So the issue here is that agents, at least savvy ones, can and will produce their own content. Whether it be digital stills, virtual tours or a full blown video, agents will create the content themselves?

Wouldn't you agree that there are many agents who are too busy being agents to also wear other hats? By the way, I appreciate your point of view...its why I asked the question in my original posting.
agents take photos every time they get a listing. Look at trulia, No professional photographers needed. Also point 2 agent network offers virtual slide shows and video.. for i think 10 bucks a month!
It's a great point you make, Mark. There is certainly an opportunity to create your own content. Do agents have the time to shoot their own listings, as well as the technical know-how to edit and upload a quality video? Also, if you are the listing agent on a $100,000,000 home, wouldn't you think that your client would appreciate a professional shooting the video?
why pay you when any one with a freshman education in computers can do it themselves!~
My hesitation is the unknown speed of the connection of the viewer. It stems from the jerky virtual tour experience. Stills work very nicely and gives the viewer the ability to just go to the kitchen shot like I do when I am scanning lots of properties. Kitchen tells me tons about the style, upkeep, and attention to detail.

Good luck with the business. I don't think it will be long before we are all doing it more. Youtube has good loadiing, more consistant than other sites.
Jed Lane; Fog…, Real Estate Pro in San Francisco, CA
Hi Michael;
While there are companies out there who will shoot a video for you, all the agents I know have gone ahead and done it themselves. I would say at least try and do it yourself. Get a video camera, and walk through the property describing it like you would to a buyer. Show it to a few colleagues and get their opinions.
It should be short, and to the point. You may be surprised at how good it is. Of course, if it is a total disaster, get outside help.
But try it yourself first.
Good Luck
Thanks, Eric. Do you think that realtors are more interested in shooting their own content, or would they turn to a professional to produce videos of their listings?
I think video tours are a great innovation. I know quite a few Realtors who are using Youtube to show their listings. Most, if not all buyers these days are going to the internet before they even talk to an agent. The more information we can make available to them the better for both the client and the agent.
As far as why more agents are not doing it? It has taken our industry forever to get to the point where we are now. When you compare out industry to others and their use of technology and when they adopted new forms of marketing and information distribution, you will see that we lag far behind. Fear of the new, we are too bull headed as independent contractors, who knows?
But if you see something that can help your business, go for it.