Actually wanted to ask where in Maine do you live? My wife and I vacation up there. All the usual spots I am afraid though, Bar Harbor, Kennebunk Port, and such. We did not make it up this summer though I am too busy right now.
There is a possibility, though. A lease-option could work for you. What you'd do would be to lease-option a property in North Carolina. Make it something like 15 months (enough to give you the remainder of the selling season this year in Maine and all of next year). You'd be leasing the home in North Carolina, but would have the option to purchase it. Meanwhile, you're trying to sell your home in Maine. Once you sell the property--if you do--then you exercise your option to purchase the North Carolina property.
If, for some reason, you're unable to sell your home in Maine, at least you aren't hindered with two mortgages--the one in Maine and a new one in North Carolina. The lease-option would expire on the North Carolina property and--as undesirable as it might be--at least you'd still have the property in Maine. That would be the risk, along with having to pay rent in North Carolina while paying your Maine mortgage.
I can refer you to some people to help you with a lease-option in North Carolina, if you want.
But that's the best way I can think of for you to "get into" a North Carolina home "while waiting on the sale" of your Maine home.
Hope that helps.
It will depend on several factors. Now if you have enough equity in your present home you could possibly quailfy for a bridge loan. Now this is just one product that is possible. But as others mentioned you really need to speak with a mortgage banker. Of course alot depends on how much you want to spend down here also. So if and when you decide what you want just let any of us know and we can help you. If you like I can give you a web account that will allow you to search through all the listings in the Triad MLS.
So, let us know what area you are considering moving to. Once you have decided on a real estate agent, be sure to let them know what your circumstances are and what financial options you are comfortable with. I hope this helps.
I did when I moved here 7 years ago. I would talk to a lender here in NC. If you are considering the Triangle you can contact me via my website and I will give you our in house lenders information.
If your looking in the Triangle area (Raleigh / Durham / Chapel Hill) you can contact me for more information.
Most sellers/builders will accept a contingent contract. I would contact a lender to make sure that it's feasible in your own case.
Have you narrowed your home search in NC?
If you have any questions on the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill areas I'd be happy to answer them.
Once you pick out a few that you might what to considering buying, we will go out and take photos/video of the home and send them to you.
Justin & Katie Keisler
Hickory, NC Relocation Specialists