Tech Tips in Carmel Valley>Question Details

Some One, Home Seller in San Diego, CA

Is there a list of how many sales by agent?

Asked by Some One, San Diego, CA Thu Feb 28, 2008

The 80-20 rule suggests that for a given area 20% of agents make 80% of the sales. Is there a public list of sales per agent per zip code that would help us identify who transact the most sales in our area before we list our house?

Answers

12
Gerard J. Carney’s answer
by the way do not go by quantity, many of the stronger or more experienced agents specialize in certain homes, some will not touch homes unless they are 1 point homes or better, meaning Million dollar homes, with those you need only sell on a month and live well. Some do Equestrian, others do River Front or Water Front, while others do low end, obvious on low end you have to sell a lot of homes to get a decent take home!
Home Seller, Just to add my 2 cents worth. I agree that the agents who have the "most sales" may not necessarily be the right one for you. I have often seen that some of their clients become frustrated because they never have any personal service or get to see the agent they hired. I always tell my clients that I am not the biggest agent in the area, but that I limit my clients to those that I can personally service at 100% satisfaction. Some people want 'The biggest" in the industry, others want personal service- you need to decide. I can guarantee you though, that the biggest is not necessarily the best- you may be just another number!

Interview, look for personal letters and testimonials- and you should be able to call those people and check that they really wrote the letters. In addition, make certain that your agent gives you a service guarantee- that if you aren't happy, you can cancel the contract. I give one to every one of my clients- after all, if I am confident in my abilities and my service- why wouldn't I guarantee it? Many of the "biggest" agents require that you stay with them 12 months if you sign a contract.

I'd love to have the opportunity to interview with you about selling your home!

Patti Phillips
800-680-9133
Only if an agent has that information on their WebSite. Selling more homes does not mean "best agent" - it means "most prolific agent."
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 28, 2008
You need an agent that you feel comfortable with, this is business of course, sell that home but it goes better when you are confident in the person marketing your home, so interview a few agents and get to see different styles each agent has and pick the one that impresses you the most!
I know I'm way behind on this stream, but here is my 2 cents: It may not matter if the listing agent is in the 80%, but you do need to do some research. 1st find out how many homes the Realtor has sold in the past year. There is nothing that I hate more than going into a transaction with an agent who has sold less than 5 properties in the past year. I know that I will be doing most of the work. Second, take a look at their marketing plan and make sure there is LOTS of online advertising. Last, look at their expired listings ratio. If most of that agents listings expired without a sale, DON'T USE THEM! Many times, the agent that bashes the 80/20 rule is an agent who could never dream of accomplishing that goal and feels the need to make excuses for it.
Sure. Call me and I can let you know.

Sean Allen
Prudential California Realty
DRE#01390181
858-618-5660
They will not do this kind of listings. Most of realtors will be upset with it, because they are not selling. The high volume realtors are high volume ones for a reason, because they know how to help their clients to set the realistic prices for the houses. We sold our house a year ago. This was what he said to us" You may not get the best price you want right now, but in a year from now, look back, you will be happy with what you got". We are thrilled to be able to sell and are renting a big house at the cost far lower than owing it. The landlord is subsidizing my rents. It is better to find the most productive realtor to sell than to have your house sit in the market and gradually lower price just not enough to NOT sell. You lose money every month when you can not sell. How many realtors will remind their clients about that? However if you are not motivated to sell, then find the nicest realtor and list it at the high price, and thenjust hope that Bill Gates come to buy from you.
I really don't like the high-volume cattle car approach to services. I wouldn't get my hair cut based by someone boasting the huge number of clients they can handle in a day. Why use that criteria for a large financial transaction? Realtors pretty much all cost the same. Why select McDonald's when you can have Donovan's for the same price?

Factors that I would consider are the sold properties average market time, sales price compared to the area, the agent's willingness to advertise and willingness to return your calls.

If you still want the sales per agent (maybe to avoid super-high-volume agents :) ), send me an email at Ted@UltimateSanDiegoHomes.com and I'll happily look it up for you.
I do not recommend using HomeGain. It is a paid service for agents to get leads - I used them when I first got started up until not long ago - did not get good leads .

The stats they will give you will be for the agents paying them for their services
I suggest that you look at homegain.com its a great site that shows you agents locally. What I did was read the agents profiles and contacted a handful via email. I arranged for times to meet with them and interviewed them to find a perfect agent for me. If you go to the bottom of the profile there is a section there that states by the year how many sales the agent had. Its also broken down to buyers and sellers sales. i wanted an agent that had high numbers for 2008. Thats how I determined which ones to interview. This website was extremly helpful in givng me the information and the agents to choose from. After interviewing the agents and picked the best possible one, our home sold in 6 days. That was simply amazing to us! Good Luck to you.
Web Reference: http://www.homegain.com
Respectfully, to choose the agents that sell 80% of the listings in your area is not going to guarantee you the best price or the best service. Some of these successful agents have teams that work for them and your home is not always handled by the most successful listing agent, but only by a member of his/her team. On the other hand, someone that has a good tract record, many years of experience and only works with a limited number of Buyers or Sellers at a given time could give you better results.
Yes. the MLS has a stats feature that any agent can run for you. certain of the agents use them in marketing. be cautious of stats that go back too far...we were less diligent years ago in reporting sales office versus listing office. i know i stiffed a couple of agents and got stiffed myself. By stiffed, i mean not taking the time needed to look up a cooperating agents number to update the MLS on close of escrow.

it's important to know that per our local rule, only the agent who listed the home may say they "sold" the home.

Liz makes an important point, equally important as knowing the number of homes sold is to know the percentage of homes sold versus listed (how many listings expired) and also the time on market. it's good to know also what the percentage of deals "double ended" was...that is, how many of the homes that were sold were their own listings...i.e. no cooperating agents, just them, all by their lonesome. I'm not sure if the stats feature can crank out that info without a bit of effort.