Tech Tips in Freedom>Question Details

Kimberly, Other/Just Looking in Appleton, WI

If I tear down a house on my property, will this lower the property taxes?

Asked by Kimberly, Appleton, WI Mon Sep 22, 2008

I have a large piece of property, with a lot of woods. There are 2 houses on it, a well kept house, and a small, older and abandoned house. If I tear down the old house, would this lower the taxes on the property?

Help the community by answering this question:


Talk to planning department too about future use. If you are planning to build someday it may be better to have a structure on the property to begin with. Maybe a remodel versus brand new?? Might out weigh the tax advantage. One small example of an issue is a city like Seaside. Tight water restrictions. you can rebuild and get same water credits as you had before...(say 4 bed, 3 bath home with swimming pool...lots of water fixtures) but if you have no proof and the city has no proof it will default to what ever they currently allow which would be a lot less water fixtures and only allow for a smaller home as a result. This will lower the value of the property and once again might not make the tax savings worth while. If you are thinking about doing anything with modular or manufactured houses check in with me.

Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 24, 2008
Hi Kimberly-
This is Erica Pittman-Gaynor with Keller Williams Santa Cruz. As both Seb & Mott pointed out that is a question for the Santa Cruz County Assessors Office. Every property is different so it's best to go to the source. Again that number is: 831 454-2002. I actually have the forms sitting right here on my desk. Since property values have continued to decline I've been sending these forms out to clients that I think would benefit by having their property re-assessed. There is a Request For Reappraisal and Application for Changed Assessment. If you' like I'd be happy to scan them and email them to you. Just shoot me an email requesting the forms and I'll get them right off to you.
Hope this helps, have a fantastic day:)
(831) 818-4123
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 22, 2008
Here in Florida vacant land is taexed differently that land with improvements upon it. I'm sure every taxing authority has a similar proceedure. Property taxes are based on land value + improvements X the millage rate - exemptions. This formula is general in nature and you should refer to your County Tax Assessor's Office.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 22, 2008
Hi Kimberly! This is a good question to ask the Santa Cruz county assessor, the phone number is (831) 454-2002 and I have put a link to their web site below. If you are on their web site, click on the "Description of Online Forms" link on the left, then, on that next page, click "Request for Reappraisal." Fill our that form and send it in and someone from the assessor's office will come out and re-appraise your property. I would think that getting rid of the other house would lower your assessed value, but perhaps by only a little bit - it could be that the small house had little value to begin with.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 22, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2014 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer