Tech Tips in 27713>Question Details

Private, Home Buyer in 27713

I'm thinking of renting my current property in Durham County NC 27713. I've called several property managers

Asked by Private, 27713 Mon Mar 3, 2008

but just haven't been wowed. Any pointers on how to spot a good property manager

0 votes Share Flag Tech Tips in 27713

Answers

3
Both Rebecca and Bram offered excellent advise. I'm a property manager who lives and works in the 27713 zip code. I'd be happy to talk with you about your property management needs and answer all your questions.
Giive me a call.

Sincerely

Colin
919-491-0739
Important questions to ask:

These are the things I look for in the management of my own investment properties, as well as have learned from industry experience:

How do you advertise rentals? What do you charge as a "finders fee"? How many other properties do you manage? Do you have a backup if you are unavailable? How do you screen renters? How do you handle repairs? How do you handle nonpayments - i.e. late fees, worst case scenario evictions?

They should have a payment schedule, send you monthly statements with your checks, and any repair receipts. You should agree to "approving" all repairs over a specified amount and they may set aside a specified amount to cover unexpected repairs. If it is a major repair (roof replacement, decking) always get a second opinion!!!

Last, but not least you should have current copies of any rental contracts and background checks at all times. If you allow pets, I recommend you have pictures of the pets on file with the contract.
Look for a property manager who works in the area of your property. You want someone that will be driving by the property to monitor it and be close by to show it to propective reters.

Look for someone who already has an inventory of homes for rent in your area, as they will already be talking to tenants.

Try Red Door company, Jeffry & Company or Apple Realty.