Question Details

Pete, Other/Just Looking in Just Us, Atlanta, GA

How can i add MLS to my site if im not a Realtor?

Asked by Pete, Just Us, Atlanta, GA Tue Dec 4, 2007

I run a fairly popular real estate web site in a small town (its fsbo but i would like to add other stuff). I do not have access to mls listings, do you think a local realtor would allow me to list mls on my site through his/her info if i had him as the sponsor of the listing. Something like MLS listing provided by Realtor Dave. How can a non realtor add mls to their site? Thanks

Answers

8
Flat Fee MLS Listing’s answer
Hi Pete,

You have to be a realtor to have access to the FULL MLS. Thus, one way is to obtain your real estate license. Another is, you can visit our website at http://www.mlssupport.com. We are one of the nation most affordable Flat Fee MLS listing company. We will have flat fee realtors that can list your FSBO clients on the MLS.

Visit our site at http://www.mlssupport.com
Check this out.

Add Dynamic Real Estate Content to your Web Site
http://www.americanhomeguides.com/real_estate_content.html
Hi Pete;
You should seriously consider getting your real estate license and eventually becoming a Broker or an Associate Broker. It soulds like you have this passion for real estate and getting licensed will give you the access to a lot more information and allow you to network more within your immediate community and with some relocation business.
Best of Luck; Stuart
Just check out what Homes.com did, they made agreements with realtors to provide an additional outlet to expose and advertise individual realtor listings.

Homes.com is not an MLS Feed or IDX feed, the listings and homes found on Homes.com are only individual agents advertising their own listings.

But...many of the agents will advertise listings that do not belong to them by hand entering and inputting a listing. Why would they do this, well, on a well optimized website that gets millions of visitors if you have a few needles in the haystack you get minimal results, if you have hundreds of listings, you guessed it you become rich.

Now...Guess what, if Realtors are advertising other Brokers who do not participate in reciprocity or if they Opt-Out, then doing this is against local MLS Boards Rules and Regs, Internet Listing Display. Just Google it and read all about the rules governing the new policy of MLS / IDX called Internet Listing Display.

Remember Realtors spend thousands just to be members of MLS / IDX, you upset off the wrong one, and you will go down if you break rules.
If I am an MLS member, how can I add this to my website doing the work myself? Or do I have to pay something additional?
I know you said you're are a non-realtor but have you thought about getting a license yourself? You run a fsbo site already that's doing pretty well in a small town, why not get your license and then gain access to the mls yourself and then give your current clients access to the mls through your site for a premium fee? Your passing the costs to your clients but if you are producing and showing results, they'll be happy. Check out forsalebyowner.com. They have a model similar to what i'm talking about. Make sure you look into the legality of all this in your state as well.
As far as I know you can't. If you are not a Realtor then that means you are not paying to be a member of the MLS system in your area. One suggestion would be to put a link to the local MLS on your website if you want your site visitors to have access to those listings. Alot of times you can access the public site for the MLS this way to see local listings.
Most membership agreements that Realtors have with the MLS company have terms and usage agreements on how the data can be used. The commercial distribution of this data is most likely prohibited. Each member of MLS pays dues and listing fees to the MLS organization.

You might be able to put a link on your site to a Realtors' site. That might allow you to provide a source for info via your site and the Realtor would still be compliant with terms and useage.
Deborah Madey, Real Estate Pro in Red Bank, NJ