Tech Tips in Atlanta>Question Details

Chloe Gallah…, Real Estate Pro in Atlanta, GA

Have you received or sent a "Just Sold" Postcard? Was it effective?

Asked by Chloe Gallaher, Atlanta, GA Wed Apr 10, 2013

I've seen agents send out a "Just Sold" postcard when they sell a house in a neighborhood where they want to generate more business. I'm wondering if you have received a "Just Sold" postcard in your mailbox or perhaps have sent one yourself...

Did you find it effective? Read it or Trash it? Why? What could have been done better?

Answers

4
Solomon Greene’s answer
Hi Chloe,

These are all good points. On the other hand, postcards from agents rarely arrive in our mail box these days. Given the limited housing inventory and limited expired listings being chased by other agents, including post cards in a broader, carefully thought-out advertising campaign might be worth a try. For instance, you might consider offering something of value rather than "just sold" post cards.

Solomon Greene
Georgia Real Estate Brokers Associate, REALTOR® REALTIST®, CDPE
Keller Williams Realty Atlanta Partners
(678) 775-2677
Agreed with below.

They really accomplish nothing but another avenue/opportunity to get your face in front of others. Before I was in the industry, quite frankly they would annoy me and I would simply throw them out.

They cost money to create. They cost even more to mail with postage. And the take time to either address and stamp them - or even more time and energy to hang on people's doors if you are like some who try to save money on stamps.

All this for very limited return, if any.

With the internet and social media available today - your time, money, and energy would be much better spent seeking a more efficient, cost-effective means of reaching potential clients.

Hope that helps!
Chole,
I agree with Larry that we live in an internet age and people in the neighborhood usually have this information already. In addition, depending upon the neighborhood and their neighbor's home selling experience, the neighbors already know if this agent is someone they would want to work with. However, I do send out postcards a couple times a year - announcing if I've won an award, a collage of some of my sales that year, etc. I do this just to keep my "face" and career familiar to people.
I mailed "Just Sold" cards some years back at the insistence of my broker at the time and will tell you that It generated nothing .

I believe it's a form of marketing that assumes a lack of knowledge or intelligence on the part of the people of the community, for neighbors generally know the details surrounding a real estate transaction, including when a property sold and the purchase price.

Furthermore, we live in the computer age and that information is easily obtainable online

Bottom line, it is an attempt to send the message that an agent, or brokerage, is somehow better that the other agents working within the community.