Tech Tips in Near South Side>Question Details

Rdawg, Other/Just Looking in Near South Side, Chi...

Gossip on the street is that Section 8 units are contracting rapidly in the Chicago Metro area. Is this true?

Asked by Rdawg, Near South Side, Chicago, IL Fri Jul 31, 2009

Answers

1
Cheri’s answer
Last I checked Section 8 is any and everywhere - meaning that owners of investment property can sublet their property specifically for those with the vouchers - OR - the government actually procures properties for that sole purpose. Example - several manufactured/mobile home communities have properties for disabled or elderly persons with the vouchers. And the CHA has programs that allow families to move into new construction properties deemed as mixed income. The key is to have the voucher and know where you want to live. Private property owners cannot legally reject your application if you are a voucher holder BUT they may pass you over if they prefer to deal with a cash paying tenant. I dont know the current status of the program but I assume its still in full swing since the majority of the CHA housing has come down and those residents needed places to stay. So I'm not sure if I understand your question - but knowing the rate of private landlords who are accepting Section 8 vouchers isnt possible. Finding Section 8 friendly communities via the CHA or State Housing bureaus is your best bet if you dont want to deal with the trial and error of private landlord rejection.