Tech Tips in Chicago>Question Details

Pete Cantele, Real Estate Pro in Joliet, IL

Does anyone know whether or not I can rent an apartment to a section 8 tenant in Historic Pullman in?

Asked by Pete Cantele, Joliet, IL Thu Mar 27, 2008

Chicago?
I can't seem to find an answer, but a couple of people in the community insist that is so.
Help?

Answers

6
Anyone who does not accept Section 8 can be held liable for the fair housing rules of discrimnation.
By law you are suppose to accept a section 8 person the same way you accept any other person with an income. You can't tell someone they can't get an apartment because their income comes from the goverment. many people get their income from SSI, SS and other goverment funding agencies. It doesnt matter where you live in chicago. Chicago is Chicago and fair housing rules apply to all of chicago. that means pullman too! many landlords are getting fines for not accepting section 8.
You can find through this craigslist search tool http://searchck.com/l/category/texas/austin just visit and search in your location.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 17, 2012
After asking this question I found that I CAN rent to section 8 in this area.
My thoughts were along the line with Cynthia. That is, that it would be discriminitory NOT to rent to section 8 folks.
So what I was hearing before I asked the question was that there was some local ordinance. That turned out to be not true.
Thanks to all that answered.
Now back to your regular scheduled programming. ;)

Pete
If I am not mistaken you can turn away Sect 8 if it is a 3 flat or less i believe that is how my buddy kept some undesirables that would not fit into our area from moving in.
Contact the local housing authority to get the checklist for units. You can locate them by google or the HUD website. I don't know if the Historic Pullman Inn is considered a rooming house (hotel, motel, inn) or a full apartment. In GA, the problem will arise with section 8 if there is a shared kitchen or bathroom area. People have the right to rent in historic areas, in general. Sometimes landlords make the mistake of turning single family into multi family, which goes down poorly when all that extra trash and the extra cars stay too long. I live in an historic area of Atlanta and sued my next door neighbor for injuction of use. He turned a very large Victorian Home into a "rooming house". This violated county code for use. There were individual locks on room doors. There was not enough parking space. City fined them for having too much trash. Ultimately, the county told the owner, who was an attorney, that no roomers, only roommates or families.

I have had very good experience with renting to Housing Choice (section 8) tenants. In the past couple of years, they have really cut back on payments. Don't take under the table payments which is commonly offered here. There is a certain stigma attached to section 8, that is unfounded. I have a property management company and deal with hundreds of tenants. The covenants or rules of certain subdivision often limit the number of investors who can rent, and all tenant leases must by submitted for the HOA. People feel owner occupants take better care of the neighborhood. My opinion is that any rules that apply to owners, still apply to the owners when rented. There should be no difference in the exterior maintenance of the property. The neighbors are never happy to hear about section 8 tenants, so discretion might be key.
If I can't get an answer to this question, maybe I should ask this:
Could someone please tell me where I might find out rules about the community of Pullman regarding section 8 housing?
I've found the CHAC website but haven't talked to them yet. I am more concerned about Pullman and what ordinances govern housing in that area.
ANY help is appreciated.
Pete