Tech Tips in San Francisco>Question Details

Jk, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

Consolidated Online Source for Land Brokers in the Bay Area

Asked by Jk, San Francisco, CA Thu Jun 21, 2007

Are their any good sites out there dedicated exclusively to land for sale - preferably fully improved and ready to build?

Answers

4
Josh has a good answer. The only other place I would look would be the counties in which you want to build. The counties may have an easy way to search for residentially zoned lots and/or development plans that will give you some indication of their future growth plans.

If you're lucky, you may find projects that are half-finished or developers who want to unload a project. This is becoming more common across the country as the housing boom has slowed a bit. I don't think you could find it on one dedicated website, but a little bit of legwork in this case could pay big dividends.

As archaic as it sounds, most investors I know still dedicate time to driving around the areas where they want to buy property, so that's another option.
I worked in land acquisitions for a home builder on the Peninsula before going out on my own. In my experience, most land where residential is currently being built started as commerical or industrial land, and was later rezoned for residential use. As such, most land being sold for residential development comes through commercial brokers (the CB Richard Ellis, BT Commercial, Colliers, etc.). I saw land for sale ranging from a half-acre, on up to 20+ acres. The problem with industrial sites, of course, is the environmental issues, and the fact that most industrial and commercial sellers are not willing to entitle the land for residential prior to selling. This doesn't necessarily help you in your quest for lots to build on, but I hope the info is useful to you nonetheless.

-Josh
Web Reference: http://www.BayAreaREI.com
There is very little raw land available, especially any that's easily built on. You may be able to find an agent who specializes in it, but it's not going to be easy.
I Googled "buildable lots" and didn't find much beyond landauction.com, which seems kind of cheesy. I usually build strong relationships with experienced realtors and developers who understand my business model in the geographic region that I'm looking. Nothing beats networking! Just my two cents. Melanie