Tech Tips in Phoenix>Question Details

Joel Scheller, Real Estate Pro in Phoenix, AZ

A client asked about the ListingBook website. A pop up occured saying his computer is infected. Anyone know if it's a legit threat or a virus?

Asked by Joel Scheller, Phoenix, AZ Sun Apr 7, 2013

Answers

3
Chris Boughton’s answer
Without seeing the actual pop up I doubt anyone could say for certain. There are a lot of false popups that look like a genuine windows or antivirus window that are a trap to get the person to click on the popup and download the "removal" software which actually is malware. The best recommendation I would have is to use a tool like Malwarebytes (free to use) for a scan. I've been in the IT industry for more than a decade and Malwarebytes has been the most reliable tool for identifying malware better than the known A/V (Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro, Microsoft Security Essentials).

Best luck to you and your client.
The pop up is fake and not coming from actual Microsoft program. When you click to "Clean" your computer, it tries to install an .exe file which I assume is the virus. Windows 7 asks if you want to run the exe file, of course I chose not to.
I would highly recommend not installing any executable files as it could be devastating. If anyone installed it, I would be interested in knowing what happend? But maybe they are unable to connect to internet now? lol
When I logged in a similar message was displayed. Has anyone had this occur to them?
I got the same thing saying microsoft antiviral found a virus and it takes you to a link to run a virus scan. I knew this was false so I alt,ctrl,del and backed out of it to avoid a REAL infection if I went and ran their scan! It is definitely withing listing book!
Flag Tue Apr 9, 2013