Tech Tips in Phoenix>Question Details

Joel Scheller, Real Estate Pro in Mesa, AZ

A client asked about the ListingBook website. A pop up occured saying his computer is infected. Anyone know if it's a legit threat or a virus?

Asked by Joel Scheller, Mesa, AZ Sun Apr 7, 2013

Answers

3
The pop up is fake and not coming from actual Microsoft program. When you click to "Clean" your computer, it tries to install an .exe file which I assume is the virus. Windows 7 asks if you want to run the exe file, of course I chose not to.
I would highly recommend not installing any executable files as it could be devastating. If anyone installed it, I would be interested in knowing what happend? But maybe they are unable to connect to internet now? lol
Without seeing the actual pop up I doubt anyone could say for certain. There are a lot of false popups that look like a genuine windows or antivirus window that are a trap to get the person to click on the popup and download the "removal" software which actually is malware. The best recommendation I would have is to use a tool like Malwarebytes (free to use) for a scan. I've been in the IT industry for more than a decade and Malwarebytes has been the most reliable tool for identifying malware better than the known A/V (Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro, Microsoft Security Essentials).

Best luck to you and your client.
When I logged in a similar message was displayed. Has anyone had this occur to them?
I got the same thing saying microsoft antiviral found a virus and it takes you to a link to run a virus scan. I knew this was false so I alt,ctrl,del and backed out of it to avoid a REAL infection if I went and ran their scan! It is definitely withing listing book!
Flag Tue Apr 9, 2013