Steve, Other/Just Looking in Mississippi

can you suggest neighborhoods for young retirees who are active and want to live in an area where we can walk?

Asked by Steve, Mississippi Fri Jul 4, 2008

to restaurants, coffee shops, pubs, retail stores etc? We would be looking in the 250k to maybe 399k range and want indoor/garage parking.

Answers

5
It is Shadyside (great condos available right now), don't waste your time looking anywhere else!
The South Side is flat and walkable with many, many restaurants, banks, doctors, dentists, pharmacies, shops. It also has abundant public transportation to downtown Pittsburgh.

Summerset at Frick has condos and townhouses available right now and new single family homes are being built, but usually take 8mos to 1yr to complete. They will be starting a new phase very soon.
Shadyside is also a possibility; it's a central East End area near Squirrel Hill with similar amenities.

I would also add Swisshelm Park (technically Squirrel Hill, but not in the main business district). It is a very supportive, attractive neighborhood where you could walk safely. (You'd need to drive or take a bus to get to the main shopping areas, though). There is also Sommerset at Frick, though you'd have to catch a resale listing to get in there.
I have to disagree with Lynn from Dallas. Based on your question, I don't believe there any issues here which would violate Realtor code of ethics. Issues which would be questionable would involve race, ethnicity, sexual preference, etc. this is a matter of suggesting areas which would meet a buyer's needs.

Having said that, one area I would recommend would be Squirrel Hill in Pittsburgh's East End. It has a modest but thriving business district (shops, restaurants, coffee shops, banks, food stores, library) and is in close proximity to two parks - Schneley and Frick. Many tree-lined residential streets.

Regent Square may also be a good choice, although the business district is realtively small - but close proximity to Frick Park.

If you're looking for larger shopping areas (i.e., malls), some areas of North Allegheny County (Ross Park, for one) may interest you.

You can visit my web site for selected community information.
Fair enough. Forget recommendations. Lets ask it this way. What neighborhoods exist in that price range where residents can easily walk to shops, restaurants etc?
Hi Steve, I live and sell real estate in downtown Pittsburgh. We have a day and night life that can't be beat. Subway free through town and the North Shore. River so close for walking, jogging & biking. People fish and boat. I love it here and would live nowhere else!
Claire Schnur
RE/MAX Realty Brokers
412-521-1000 x290
Direct 412-471-1045
Flag Sat Aug 17, 2013