Kimberly, Home Buyer in 20011

What are some of the best neighborhoods in Baltimore? I'm looking to move to the Baltimore area in a year and would like to by in a good

Asked by Kimberly, 20011 Sat Mar 27, 2010

neighborhood

Answers

11
There are a lot of agents answering here so I understand their reluctence to answer your question directly. As someone who have moved around baltimore a lot and has explored many other cities I would like to give you a straight forward answer. For a little perspective: I'm a black women with a white husband and a baby on the way. We are both professionals and before my recent pregnancy we were total "dinks" (Double income no kids) and "yuppies", we make 90'000/yr

Here's my opinion (only an opinion) on all the neighborhoods we've lived in:

Charles village - Area: North of 28th St, South of 33rd between Greenmount and Maryland Ave
Pluses: near johns hopkins so most of the area is owned by the hospital and is therefore safe and clean. Farmers market nearby - historic houses - very close to downtown
Minuses: Parking is terrible - settled near some neighborhoods that are not considered very desirable, but that's true of most of baltimore so don't be surprised if you drive a few blocks south and see prostitutes

Mount Vernon - Area: South of Madison, North of 40, between Park Ave and Calvert
Pluses: I live here currently - Often called "Baltimore's Little Europe" - All the cool festivals take place around here (could be a minus) - Good public transportation from here - Near Peabody Music Institute, Theatre District, Enoch Pratt Library, Lyric Opera House - One of those areas that it just feels trendy to say you live in(shallow, I know)
Minuses - Parking is expensive - If you are buying it is difficult to find realestate as the area is very desired and seldom sold - Rent is some of the most expensive in the city - Very small neighborhood

Canton - Area: South of Eastern, North of Boston, Between S Chester and S Haven St
Pluses: By the water - Near Patterson Park, Canton Dog Park, Greek Town - Family and Dog friendly neighborhood - Reasonable and varied housing prices
Minuses - Not many minuses it just doesn't have as much character as other neighborhoods but is near them

Federal Hill - Area: South of Key Hwy North of I-95, Between 395 and Key Hwy
Pluses: Shopping and Restaurants - Family and Dog friendly neighborhood - Federal Hill Park has amazing views of the city and many of the nicer homes do as well - Walking distance to inner harbor but doesn't feel like you're in the city - I believe President Bushes daughter lived there if that says anything about how good of a neighborhood it is...i don't know, just thought I'd mention - Where people go to see the fireworks each year so you already have an advantage if you live there - Great walking neighborhood
Minuses - Parking can be bad any number of times each year because of festivals and fireworks

Hampden - Area: South of 40th St, North of 29th St, Between Wyman Park and Jones Falls Expy (83)
Pluses - My favorite neighborhood - Flanked by parks on three sides - reasonable housing - shopping and restaurants - better than average parking - very hip neighborhood with a lot of artsy people and shops - Easy access to the highway - Quiet during the weekdays, busy during the weekends - Charm City Cakes from the Food Network is located in this neighborhood

That's all for the places I've lived. Here are the places i haven't but would like to:

Fells Point - especially the part south of Fleet Street, cobblestone streets, very historic, beautiful!
Roland Park - If you are buying and make considerably more than me
Historic Northwood - Lots of trees and yards with quiet streets, I have friends who live here and love it
Towson - Not in the city but better schools and very nearby, My husband works in towson. If you're not looking for "city life" this would be a good choice
Bolton Hill - MICA students live here, huge brownstones

There are other "up and coming" neighborhoods but we've noticed that with the recession they've slowed a bit in their progress. Example: Washington Village (PigTown) has amazing deals on housing but is still downtrodden in areas and you will probably have to deal with drug dealers for a few more years. i hope it cleans up because it could easily be like federal hill or Canton.

I'm sure there are neighborhoods I haven't mentioned so spend time looking around. I believe that these would be good places to start and for the most part you can't go wrong in these areas. I love Baltimore and hope you make it out here!
thanks so much for all your info it really helped ... living in NY city right now and could be moving to Baltimore and im so scared :(
Flag Wed Nov 13, 2013
A great resource for information about Baltimore City is http://www.livebaltimore.com. It provides information about different neighborhoods and various programs for home buyers. It's a very useful tool for anyone looking to buy/relocate to Baltimore.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 27, 2010
If you haven't yet bought in Baltimore, we're selling a much-loved 3BR home in one of the city's safest and most beautiful neighborhoods, Mt. Washington (see http://www.mwia.org). Great, diverse, stable neighborhood. And well within your budget. See our listing:
http://www.ywgcrealty.com/homes/MD/BALTIMORE/21215/5705_WOOD…
I just want to thank everyone for all the helpful advise. I'll be sure to do my homework and find a "good" agent when I'm ready to move. Hopefully it will be one of you.

Thanks again.
The legal aspect of this issues has been covered well. A good neighborhood is simply defined by the person. What you want and need is a good neighborhood. Drive around and research official records, visit institutions such as police depts, communy groups . But simply talk to people that are up and about in the neighborhood you think you like as well as the small business owners they will know what you want to know..
Web Reference: http://amilitaryrealtor.com
some good advice....I live and work in Federal Hill (Prudential) I would be more then happy to talk to you sometime about the Baltimore. Best of luck! (google Jeff washo) for my info if you like.

Lots of good answers here.
Hi Kimberly, Let me be the first new neighbor to say hello. Why did I say that? I've lived in the Baltimore metropolitan area my whole life and can tell you there's not a better place to live. This area has everything, maybe I should say somewhere for everyone to call home. Baltimore is unique in that it is a large city made of many small neighborhoods. Each one unique in and of itself yet the one thing they all have in common is that each has it's pros and cons, good spots and not so good spots. I recommend spending some time in the area and visiting each potential neighborhood at different times of the day. Also a great idea is to check out the Baltimore County Police website. There you will find statistics on each precinct, however, keep in mind the good spot bad spot aspect. If you'd like please give me a call. We can then meet at my office in White Marsh and I'll help you with some of this information. We can also discuss your housing needs and I can introduce you to a lender who can help us determine your purchasing power. This is important because two similar properties in different neighborhoods will more than likely be valued differently. For information about and how to contact me please check out my website. http://www.ivegotahouse4you.com
Great, thanks for the info. What do you see as your price range/price max?
I define "good or best" the following ways.

Fairly low crime rate or crime rate that's at least decreasing. Close proximity (within 5 miles) of grocery, shopping, restaurants, movie theaters, parks...etc. I would prefer to buy something that's not new and can use some improving upon cosmetically. I lived in Brooklyn for a while and noticed that the best neighborhoods had more greenery than others, so trees and grass would be nice. i don't have any kids but I understand if I decide to sell in the future that I don't want to limit my potential buyers to singles or newlyweds so decent public schools would be nice as well. I would probably not work in Baltimore City so access to the interstate or major highways would be convenient.

I'm looking in to buy in the Baltimore City or County area.
A good agent is going to ask you to define what you mean by "best or good neighborhood". Fair housing laws require real estate agents to be very careful in how they answer a question such as this. What are you looking for in a neighborhood? What is "good" to you? Are you considering Baltimore city or just the county? People often make decisions about where they buy a home based on proximity to work, social aspects such as local restaurants or commerce, school districts, access to highways, price and crime rate, to name but a very few.

Let me know if I can be of any help!