Lookingatsea…, Other/Just Looking in Seattle, WA

What are some cultural sources of pride for Seattleites?

Asked by Lookingatseattle, Seattle, WA Tue Apr 2, 2013

Answers

3
What a great question? Culturally, Seattle is a real melting-pot, with a strong Native American history underlying more recent waves of Scandinavian and Asian immigrants. Seattle's uniqueness is based, in part, on the contributions of so many different cultures that have come together in Seattle. You can get a feel for the cultural richness of the greater-Seattle area by researching the variety of festivals, fairs, and events held in Seattle, and statewide as well. It's hard to know where to start, but a suggestion might be to look into all the small community celebrations which occur during the SeaFair summer celebration. There are dozens and dozens of important cultural events happening during the SeaFair celebration.

Thanks for an interesting question!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 2, 2013
I agree with Ray Akers!

As a native New Yorker, I proclaim(!) that Seattle is actually a cosmopolitan city with strong cultural influences from the six continents. Australia, Asia, Africa, Europe, South America and North American culture is well-represented here: music, food, art, theater, sport, and more.

Seattle isn't really a "capital" of anything in particular, it is simply a place where there is a lot of first-rate, rocking "stuff" to eat, see, do, and play.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 2, 2013
I would have to say that Music and Art are two big cultural sources of pride in Seattle.