BMB, Home Buyer in Lincoln Park, Chicago,...

I'm looking to buy new furniture. I don't have a lot of money to spend, but don't want cheap junk either.

Asked by BMB, Lincoln Park, Chicago, IL Sat Mar 8, 2008

Can anyone comment on experience with Macys, Room & Board, and Roy's? Any other medium priced places I should try? Thanks

Answers

10
You can also look into Harlem Furniture. They have great financing options and quality furniture and they are priced great! Also, Value City Furniture has great deals too...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 9, 2008
Another idea is to have furniture custom made for you. Oh, I know, that seems expensive, but big cities often have small hobbyists and free-lancing artisans that can give you something you really love at a price you can also afford.
GIGO doesn't just apply to data, it also applies to our surroundings, and what we look at and use. Having to stare at a POS dresser or dining room set can have a detrimental affect on our energy, mood, and outlook on life!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 15, 2009
Why not look on craigslist for used or even free furniture? You might also find som good used furniture at goodwill or salvation army. There are bound to be used furniture palces near you. You could also look at some swap and trade magazines and see if any is in there.

Do not think that since you do not have a lot of money to spend that buying new is the cheapest way out. Good used can be much easier on the wallet.

Once you buy the used you can always save your money and replace it with good new when it is more affordable to your pocketbook.
Heirloom-quality furniture is something most of us can only afford when we reach an age where we're not going to get very much use from it; the stuff we can afford to buy now is unlikely to last us until then!
So. First off, IKEA isn't exactly "cheap junk." They have a wide range of styles, not all modern and contemporary.
Antiques - or even good-quality second-hand, if well-made and stylish, can be an affordable way to go. Macy's and Room & Board are fine, but hard to fall in love with. I don't think I've ever been in a house furnished by either when I noticed the furniture.
Perhaps it's wise to concentrate on just a few good-quality pieces that you really like, rather than trying to fill the whole house up at once. I know I'd rather put my shirts and socks in a plastic bin from Storables for a while than have to look at some ugly-***** dresser for the next ten years!
I think you should try 2K Furniture Designs at http://www.2kfurnituredesigns.com
I build custom furniture & ship in 48 States. The web site is a sample of some of my work.
ohwoodudesign.com
Web Reference: http://ohwoodudesign.com
ohwoodudesign.com
Roy's Furniture on Sheffield in Lincoln Park. Good quality and cuts out the middle man. I bought a couch there $900 cheaper than another place.....same couch. Big selection. Here is the address:

Roy's Furniture
2455 N. Sheffield (Between Fullerton & Wrightwood)

Best of Luck!!
Take a look at some of the shops on the 5200 N block of Clark St. in Andersonville. They have a good mixture of vintage and new furniture shops. Also, take a look at apartmenttherapy.com and Craigslist.com - you never know when you might see something unique.

If you have a van/truck or SUV, try heading out to the Crate and Barrel furniture outlet on Rt. 59 in Aurora/Naperville. The furniture there consists of floor samples (and you have to transport it yourself) but they mark items down 10% each Tuesday until the items sell. I've bought coffee tables, and a steel apothecary display cabinet at 50% off over the years.
Ikea furniture is not expensive if you like that kind of look.