J.P., Home Buyer in Tampa, FL

How are the shopping and local amenities in Larkspur?

Asked by J.P., Tampa, FL Mon Apr 23, 2007

Answers

7
J.P.

And...

All the communities of the Ross Valley are co-terminous, each abuts others. On the ground it is often invisible where one ends and another begins. Greenbrae, Corte Madera, Larkspur and Kentfield all have their own flavor of shopping, services and amenities. And then there are San Anselmo and San Rafael that are very close. Most folk use the whole shebang. I live in Mill Valley and often shop variously in the Ross Valley.
Web Reference: http://realtz.com
As local leasing and relocation professionals and as Marin residents, Larkspur is hands down our favorite part of Marin!

Though my fiance' was born and raised in San Rafael (which is where we currently live) our dream is to buy a house in Larkspur after we get married.

You have a small town feel, a grouping of great locally-owned restaurants, quaint shopping - all this combined with Marin's best weather, an easy SF commute and highly-ranked local schools in a beautiful setting.

We highly recommend Larkspur to our clients relocating to the area looking to rent - in fact I just toured one of my relocation clients through all of Marin yesterday and he easily decided Larkspur would be his top choice! He and his family are moving here from Austraila and already enjoy an active outdoor lifestyle and value a walk-to-town type of property. Perfect fit!!

Now I just have to find him a 3,000ish sq ft home that is walk-to-town with a nice yard for his 3 boys, so if anyone has a great Larkspur house to rent let me know!
Can't add anthing to that list! If you come here you will most likely enjoy it. Many many great aspects to living in Southern Marin.
Jed Lane, Real Estate Pro in San Francisco, CA
Larkspur is a charming, small town with a population of about 12,000. I have been living in Larkspur for the past 12 years and loving it. Larkspur epitomizes the charm of small town America. It offers a range of great restaurants, including among others Lark Creek Inn (probably the most elegant restaurant in Marin County), Picco (both a restaurant and a small wine bar/pizzeria which has quickly become one the most popular spots in Marin for a great glass of wine, outstanding pizza cooked in a wood-burning oven), Left Bank (a French Brasserie with delightful outdoor eating, just like in the South of France!), the Ward Cafe (a well kept secret as it is not on the main street, Magnolia Avenue, but well worth exploring), Fabrizzio (great for Italian food and outdoor dining). Larkspur also offers an amazing array of great boutiques and galleries, considering that downtown Larkspur only spans over a three to four block area. There have been a lot of changes in the past few years in the heart of Larkspur. In addition to the old favorites which have been there for many years, like Rulli (one of Marin County's favorites hangouts patronized by people from all over the County, an Italian bakery which makes out of this world pastries and sandwiches, baked fresh daily, to rival any of the best bakeries in Italy--I speak from personal experience!), Bloomers, the cutest little flower shop, Coquelicot, a wonderful boutique offering a great selection of home accessories from Provence, Magnolia Gallery, a top-notch framing gallery, and many more including card stores, a barbershop, the Silver Peso (a great bar with a pool table), new shops and boutiques have sprouted up, enriching our community even further. A mother and daughter team, Elaine and Gala, have opened two charming boutiques named Gala right on Magnolia Avenue, my neighbor Kendra has opened a beautiful boutique named Canvas, Nicole and her sister have remodeled their Dad's store, the old Rumors, and renamed it Nicolette, Isabelle Picasso has revamped Swing, a very sweet boutique with children's clothing and accessories...What I love most about Larkspur is that all the store owners live in the area and are an integral part of what makes Larkspur so unique and endearing. It means the world to me to be able to walk in most of the stores in my community and be greeted by my first name. I have built great relationships with many of the business owners and even friendships with some of them. Finally, it is important to keep in mind that many of the small towns in Marin County such as Larkspur, Corte Madera, Greenbrae and even Mill Valley and San Anselmo are very close to each other, and that they all offer great amenities and shopping which are easily accesible within a few miles of Larkspur. There are excellent supermarkets, including Whole Foods in Mill Valley, Mollie Stones in Greenbrae, Woodlands in Kentfield, and Paradise Foods in Corte Madera where I shop regularly. Corte Madera has two beautiful shopping malls, less than 10 minutes away from Larkspur, with anchors like Nordstrom and Macy's, and a great selection of wonderful stores and boutiques such as Banana Republic, Gap, Restoration Hardware, Sharper Image, True Religion, Lucky's, Anthropology, Bebe, Pottery Barn, Crate and Barrel, Williams and Sonoma, etc. Basically, you have everything you can wish for right there at your fingertips! Please visit my website at http://www.YourPieceOfMarin.com and click on the Marin County/Cities link to find out more about the County and each of its individual cities/communities.
Having one of the only unique downtowns in Marin County, Larkspur has bit of it all. Restaurants line the shady main street, as do a few coffee shops and an abundance of retailers as well.
Larkspur is a charming small town with an adorable downtown shopping area. Larkspur has some of Marin's best restaurants like Bradley Ogden's Lark Creek Inn, The Left Bank, Picco's, and Rulli's Italian Patisserie where you can sit outside, sip delicious coffee and enjoy the local color. Larkspur has one of the last single screen movie houses showing independent and first run films. You can listen to live music (and dance), showcasing the Bay area's vast talent at the Larkspur Theatre Cafe. Parking is rarely a problem as life in Larkspur is easy.
Shopping is unique as this is a small town, yet there is a 2-3 block area where people stroll by the stores daily and have many great stores to shop at that are NOT found in the Malls. There are many clothing stores, household gifts, art gallery, hair salons, card shops, etc.etc. It is also known as 'restaurant row' for there are many family owned restaurants as well as world wide known restaurants. Including in this list is the famous Lark Creek Inn, and Yankee pier. Others are CJ chinese restaurant, Fabrizio's - italian with all the charm of Italy, Left bank, Rulli's for pastries and coffee/teas, The Ward street cafe, Sushi roll, etc. It is hard not to find a restaurant for your special desires of the time. And then there is the local bar known as 'the Silver Peso- which has been around forever...pool tables, dartboards, music et al. is there for everyone. A mixed crowd of all ages, and all types. What would the town be like without the Silver Peso. Also is the Lark Movie Theatre which has many films shown that are not found in the usual theatres. Can also be rented out for special affairs. To round it all out is the Lark Playhouse where live theatre and musical acts are performed by locals, plus all talented artists. Dinner is served while you are being entertained. A friendly yet classic atmosphere where safety is felt. Once a year, the main street is open for a sort-of- fair where the streets are roped off, and a band plays, dancing in the streets, wine, beer and food is served, and the stores display there best in and outside their storefronts. I have been luck to be a part of this community for over 20 years. It is a classic small American town that just doesn't loose its charm.