Halley S., Home Buyer in New York, NY

How are the shopping and local amenities in Park Slope?

Asked by Halley S., New York, NY Mon Apr 23, 2007

Sonni Woodbury’s answer
Shopping is South Slope is wide-ranging from upmarket boutiques on 7th Avenue to discount stores on 5th. There are also plenty of places to get your car serviced on 4th Avenue. There are many delis, grocery stores and restaurants, providing foods from all the cultures that make up this diverse neighborhood.
There is a wide variety of shopping here. From deli's to upscale food markets like Union Market (6th Ave and Union St) and Fairway (in nearby Red Hook). For those who like their food organic, there is the Park Slope Food Coop I'm a member here) or Back To The Land, both near busy 7th Ave. Farmer's Markets on either end of Prospct Park West (one day a week) include not just fruit and vegetables but fresh fish and meats. Park Slope is home to numerous coffee shops, ranging from the traditional diner style, Puritan, at 7th St and 7th Ave, to Cafe Regular, which serves only coffee, pastries and orange juice, on 11th st and Fifth Ave. This is one of my favorites, since I like its European ambience and steamy windows in the Winter. Retail in the Slope is centered around children, although there are boutiques where you can purchase clothes and other items. Children's clothing, bookstores, and toys are well represented. Check out Little Things if you need a present for a birthday party your child is attending. Big box is also represented, with a klarge Barnes and Noble near Methodist Hospital.