Schools in Parkland Hills>Question Details

Bubamara, Home Buyer in Parkland Hills, Albu...

why is Whittier Elementary scoring so badly? I bought a home in Parkland HIlls neighborhood and transferred

Asked by Bubamara, Parkland Hills, Albuquerque, NM Mon Aug 31, 2009

my kids to another elementary because test scores for Whittier were terrible. Can anyone tell me is it really that bad? The neighborhood is really nice - we should have a better elementary school here.

Answers

1
The majority of students at Whittier come from families with low incomes and are second language learners. These are the two greatest factors that influence scores NOT teachers as our illustriious governor and her unqualified sec. of ed. would have the public believe. Because the neighborhood has abandoned the school the percentage of middle and upper middle income students is absent further compounding the low test scores. There are some high scoring schools I wouldn't put my child in and I transfered into a "low-performing" school so she could learn a second language. The "low performing" school had excellent teachers and resources.

If you really want to know a school visit it!

And yes, you and your neighbors should support your neighborhood school it is a reflection of you.