Schools in 30213>Question Details

Steppie, Home Buyer in Atlanta, GA

where is a quality childcare/pre-school program in camp creek/south fulton area?

Asked by Steppie, Atlanta, GA Sat Apr 5, 2008

We are looking at a home in the camp creek/south Fulton area. I work in Midtown and hubby works by the airport and we want a quality childcare/ preschool for our 3 year old. If you have any suggestions please let us know. The area still seems very rural and it has been hard to identify any of the names I'm used to seeing like Primrose, Kinder care,etc. I saw the Sheltering Arms which has a waiting list out the woozy. Thanks

0 votes Share Flag Schools in 30213

Answers

9
Look no further you have found a quality preschool for your 3 year old! Please visit our webpage @ Kidologypreschool.com. We are a project oriented Reggio Inspired Preschool expected to open this fall (9/2008). Our location is in the South Fulton area off Stonewall Tell Rd. in College Park GA. We are in the process of planning an open house for parents and the community to join us in our quest to bring understanding in this approach to edcation. Please feel free to email me @ Thekidologypreschool@gmail.com for more information.

THANKS,
Kiana Robinson
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 28, 2008
Hi name is Marie Merritt and I run an in home private childcare facility. Here is a link to my website: http://www.newgenerationchildcare.vpweb.com

Thank you!!!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 11, 2010
I highly recommend Sheltering Arms off of Camp Creek Pkwy and Welcome All Rd. I found this one with my second child. He is now going to Kindergarten. Wish I had know about them for my oldest.
BE WEARY OF KIDIOLOGY SOUTH FULTON COUNTY...

This correspondence is being written in response to the service being provided by Kidiology Preschool located in South Fulton County. When we first visited the institution we were excited about the Reggio Emilia approach for our son. We were also ecstatic that the environment was small, intimate and soothing. Yet, now after careful consideration, the school, at best, does a great job of baby-sitting for a fee. I say this because as a parent, I have not seen any information come home depicting my child’s day. Furthermore, I have not received any sample work that my son has completed nor have I seen a daily or weekly progress-monitoring sheet. In essence, I am at the mercy of what these people tell my wife and I because my child cannot communicate effectively due to his age.

Next, after doing more research I have to question the effectiveness of Kidiology and how they interpret and deliver the Reggio Emilia approach. According to Loris Malaguzzi founder of this approach, she deems that the 'Reggio' approach was developed for municipal child-care and education programs serving children below six. The approach requires children to be seen as competent, resourceful, curious, imaginative, inventive and possess a desire to interact and communicate with others. My reservation comes from not having anything concrete to gage if this is being done or not. On many occasions I did not receive a daily report and when I did the grammatical errors took away from the delivered message. This is also a “Red Flag” namely, how can this person be an instructor or have any position in the organization when they cannot spell the word “sugar!” In addition, I am all for free exploration with the development of this particular age group. But it seems as if they just let the children roam freely with limited supervision and care. For example, in a 24-hour period my son’s brand new hat and brand new spare clothing items came up missing. The owner’s response was for parents to label the child’s clothing. Yet the classroom is so small and intimate that with only five children how could anything come up missing? Her response was, “The children grab things out of others cubbies and they get lost or missing, sorry.” As a highly qualified educator under the guidelines of No Child Left Behind this raises a “RED FLAG.” This could only mean that there is limited structure and supervision, if any, in the classroom, the teacher has a poor rapport with the children or the children are able to freely roam due to non-interest in what is being taught.

Furthermore, the Reggio Emilia Approach calls for children to use multiple symbolic languages in which to describe or present their works. We have not seen a recital, parent night or virtually any extension towards parents to see their child’s progress. Kidiology does not have a formal/informal assessment nor do they offer any “real” documentation of the child’s learning. Furthermore, the pictures and dialogue for parents to view are months old and not up to date, just check out the website, Kidiologypreschool.com. They still have information from 2008. As well, neither my spouse nor I have any knowledge of a long -term project. Thus, if parents do not know what is going on in the school, how are they to support the teacher or institution? This is why I have to question Kidiology’s delivery of the Reggio Approach.
Steppie, Great that you are so concernced about quality schools and care for your child(ren). I recently became aware of a grass-roots efforts of parents looking at opening a cooperative pre-school in the East Point area. I'll check my many emails and contacts to try to get that information to you.

As a founding parent of the Grant Park Cooperative Preschool and The Neighborhood Charter School here in Grant Park it's been an incredible experience to see the power of community come together to improve the neighborhoods and lives of our intown families.

I'll post soon with that information, best to you with your house-hunting endeavours!
Let me know if I can help or if you have any questions. There are certain pocket neighborhoods in SW Atlanta that are phenomenal! Great architechture and quality stock of homes! truly an intown secret of opportunity for a home and great investment - in my opinion! ;-)

See my profile here on Trulia by clicking on my name to learn more about my community involvement and knowledge. Thanks!

Ramiro Garcia
http://GrantParkExpert.com
Web Reference: http://www.DweLLintown.com
Here's a new school http://www.thesmallworldclub.com/ but you should really join the meetup.com group I am a member of, http://moms.meetup.com/2639/ If the link does not work, go to http://www.meetup.com and search for South Fulton/ Southwest Atlanta Moms, Wives and Women. This is one of the major topics we are always discussing!
OK here are some to check out, I will not comment on quality - jusge for yourself!
Two new schools - Legacy Academy and Angels Academy - in the Sandtown Crossing
Kids R Kids - Cascade and Union City
Little Linguists Preschool (Language Immersion) & The Kidology Preschool (Reggio Approach)- opening soon, third school - name tbd @Welcome All Rd - Opening December
Atlanta Montessori Academy (College Park) & Discovery Montessori Academy (East Point) - Montessori approach
The Learning Acacademy of College Park.
Google for info, GOOD LUCK!
Steppie, You may want to see in any of the churches in the area have childcare. That would be a place I would look.
Steppie,

You may want to check out this link to Pre K Smarties.
http://www.preksmarties.com/preschooldirectory/index.htm
It is a nationwide directory of preschools. That may give you some information to start on.

Sandy Shores