Schools in New Canaan>Question Details

Lisalynne, Home Buyer in Irvington, NY

what is the primary difference between New Canaan High School and Darien High School ... we are hearing they are both great but can someone be more

Asked by Lisalynne, Irvington, NY Sun Mar 28, 2010

specific please?

Answers

5
Lisalynn,
May I suggest that you schedule a tour of both Darien & New Canaan High School.
The differences will become clear.
I see you are moving from Irvington NY population approx. 7000.
I lived in the Irvington area for 7 years before moving to the New Canaan (population 24,000) /Darien (population 20,000) area. You will love this area.
Please call me if you need help making a choice between these two great towns.
Hannelore
203-653-6619
kaplanh@raveisre.com
I am a Darien/resident/agent/mom and put my three children through the Darien system. What youve heard here demonstrates I think, that there are imperceptible differences between the two systems. Robbie points out that more New Canaan children go on to college and perhaps that is so. However, we are dealing with the difference between say 97 and 98%.
When buying a home in this area, the pluses and minuses are anecdotal and personal in nature. If youve narrowed your seach to these two towns you can rightly move on tothe issues of location,amenities,beaches etc and let the school issue rest..
If you wish to get an insider view of Darien,visit my blog, http://www.thegoldcoaststandard.com
Hi Lisalynne,

Here is a link to the State of CT Dept of Education website where you can look up the differences in the school and school districts that are pertinent to you... http://www.csde.state.ct.us/public/cedar/districts/index.htm…
Should you require additional information don't hesitate to contact me. Good luck!

Samuel Gabe
Halstead Property
203.856.8399
SGabe@Halstead.com
Web Reference: http://www.halstead.com
I don't have children in either school system - my children attend school in Weston. My response to your question would be for you to look at school reports and see the differences in the curriculum in order to make an educated decision. Both school systems are top notch. Feel free to call me for further information.
Ninfa Valella
203-216-7102
William Raveis
I can not speak about the Darien schools system although my brother married a girl from Darien and now resides there. My children went through the New Canaan school system. My Dad was a high school teacher in the Stamford School system and he told me to move to New Canaan for the best schools. I took his advice and now have 2 in college. One child was accepted into the leadership program at the University of Richmond and the other is at Fairfield University. The percentage of New Canaan student is greater then the percentage of Darien students that go on to college. You would not be heart by either choice.
Robbie Blosio