Schools in Redding>Question Details

Wadesvea, Other/Just Looking in Redding, CA

what is the best high school in redding california?

Asked by Wadesvea, Redding, CA Mon Nov 2, 2009

Were is the best place to go for academics and sports? Also what is the safest school? Also a smaller school would be nice.

0 votes Share Flag Schools in Redding

Answers

4
In my opinion U-Prep for a smaller school. Shasta is bigger, but the counselors really stay on the kids. So it has a smaller feel to it, even thought it is a larger school. It comes with great reviews. My daughter loves it. I had her in smaller charter schools, when she was younger. I didn't want her to get lost in the bigger school and also worried about the bad elements that sometimes seem more prevelant in bigger schools. I can say, Shasta is really doing a fine job. In fact they have a way for each student to learn so that if your kid is getting into trouble with grades, but is trying hard, then there is a plus program that catches them up, so as to make them keep up their credits and get to walk across the stage when they are supposed to. Losts of extra curricular activities too.
If you are looking for a smaller school district my answer is either Columbia or Grant Schools
What "measuring stick" do you want to use? Shasta High has been ranked well by Newsweek on the basis of how many students take Advanced Placement tests divided by the number of students. Foothill High is the highest scoring comprehensive high school in the county for the 2nd year in a row with an API score of 820. Crysalis Charter School scored an impressive 871. Overall, our area is not considered high crime.

Beside academics, all the larger high schools have very good sports programs and equally excellent programs in the fine arts. Enterprise and Foothill both compete very well at the state level in music. West Valley High also has good scores and is a smaller school in a desirable bedroom community. All these stats and more can be evaluated on the http://www.shastacoe.org site, but the best idea is to go visit the schools, talk to parents and educators on site.
Web Reference: http://www.shastacoe.org
This is a very subjective question, I think you can ask four different people and get four different answers. All the high schools in the area are good. I believe it is up to the parents to take an interest and get involved with the school and it will end up being a good experience for your child. You could check with the Shasta Co. dept of Ed. and get the test score ratings on the high schools and go that way. Shasta High is the only school in the area that is rated in the top 1000 in the country by Newsweek Magazine if that makes a difference. I would recommend that you tour each school with your child and make your decision. Thats how we did it with ours.