Schools in Columbia>Question Details

Sudhanshu, Home Buyer in Columbia, MD

what does assigned school mean?

Asked by Sudhanshu, Columbia, MD Fri Feb 1, 2013

This question was asked from…

0 votes Share Flag Schools in Columbia

Hi Sudhanshu,

Per the Howard County Board of Education's policy:

"To avoid over utilization of some schools and under utilization of others, students are assigned to the schools in the school attendance areas in which they reside, unless approval is given in accordance with this policy."

I hope this clears things up for you. If you have any more questions, please contact me on my cell phone 973-441-1192
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 2, 2013
Hello Sudhanshu. Where are you seeing that phrase? As you might know, every property address falls within a zone "assigned" to a set of public schools. Sometimes a listing will tell you what elementary, middle and high school child residents of that property will attend. You can also go to the County's Board of Education website (in this case Howard County Public Schools) to find out what schools any property in that county will be serviced by. If you need help with this please call me 410-715-2711. Randi Tannenbaum
Yes not a real estate term, but as she Said, probably what it is being referred to is the school to which a particular home is assigned to based on the school district system which if you take a look at the map you have to wonder who. Came up with such a district design or lack of.

Be happy to provide you with more info in any real estate related topics.
Hello Sudhanshu. This is not a real estate term. Can you give me more regarding the context? It coukd be referring to the fact that you have to be within the school district for your children to go to that school. 202 573-6035. call me to discuss. Catherine Purcell