Schools in 21234>Question Details

Danielle, Other/Just Looking in Parkville, MD

we are thinking of moving to the Parkville/ Lauraville area but the schools don't seem so good. Wondering if this is a good and safe area to live ?

Asked by Danielle, Parkville, MD Sun May 16, 2010

0 votes Share Flag Schools in 21234

Answers

6
I live in Parkville, near the city line. My neighborhood is great. I left the windows down in my car, and left the doors unlocked, twice in two consecutive days, over the summer. I had my Blackberry, CD's, and other items on the car seat and console, and nothing was stolen. The neighbors are great. Stores are convenient. It has a small town feel.
Just wanted to give you a parents perspective on the schools in the area since my children do attend. Hope this helps you.

Currently my 10 year old is on her way to Pine Grove Middle where my 14 year old attended. He's now at Loch Raven High and I can honestly tell you that both of those schools are wonderful. I'm trying real hard to stay close enough that I won't have to move them. Although I've heard good things about Parkville High and my son really wants to go there.

I also love living in the area that I'm in and feel pretty safe.

Rosetta
As the other agents said above, we cannot give you an opinion about schools. However, you can read about each school on the Baltimore County Schools website at http://www.bcps.org. I have sold several homes in both areas and it is a great location for travel and conveniences. Give me a call and you can preview some homes in both areas to give you a better perspective. Looking forward in serving you!

Tina Beasley
Associate Broker
443-243-1832
Web Reference: http://www.tinabeasley.com
A good agent is going to ask you to define what you mean by "good and safe neighborhood". Fair housing laws require real estate agents to be very careful in how they answer a question such as this. What are you looking for in a neighborhood? What is "good" to you? People often make decisions about where they buy a home based on proximity to work, social aspects such as local restaurants or commerce, school districts, access to highways, price and crime rate, to name but a very few.

That said, both Parkville (21234) and and Lauraville/Hamilton (21214) are very popular areas for either first-time home buyers or buyers who own a home in Canton, Federal Hill, Hampden, to name a few, and are looking for more privacy and a bigger yard. Many of the houses in both areas have wide and deep front porches that buyers adore. Lauraville/Hamilton is also home to some very cool establishments such as the Chameleon Cafe, Clementine, Koco's Pub, the Hamilton Tavern, to name a few. The proximity to Herring Run Park is another draw. Parkville has Racer's and Dead Freddie's and is graced by Double Rock Park, a much smaller version of Herring Run Park.

Let me know if I can be of any help. I do a lot of work in 21234 and 21214 and know both very well.
Danielle, Parkville and Lauraville are very popular neighborhoods to live in. As REALTORs here in Maryland, we are not allowed to discuss how safe an area is or how good the schools are - and I think much of that reason is because what may be safe/good for me, may not be acceptable to you.
What we can do is refer you to where you can find the information you desire in order to make an informed decision that is right for you.
To find out about crime in a Baltimore City neighborhood, you can visit the Baltimore City Police's website -- and you can enter an address and find out what has gone on around the area. : http://www.baltimorepolice.org/
As for schools, you can compare by going to Great Schools http://www.greatschools.org/ where you can compare school districts.
I hope this helps!
Please let me know how I can help you further.
Thank you!
Marney Kirk
Keller Williams Excellence Realty
THE FIRST QUESTION I'D HAVE IS WHERE ARE YOU MOVING FROM? Everything is after all relative. That said, I work with a number of investors who do minor to major renovations and full rehabs in various areas around the city and county and recently have started investing heavily in these areas. I have found over the last 8 years that where goeth the investors goeth the positive growth and community improvement, and ultimately home values in an area. Like most Baltimore neighborhoods, within Parkville/Lauraville there are heavier homeowner block, and rental heavy blocks. These factors along with other important factors affect the quality of life issues, like safety, amenities, and the like. I think there are great streets, blocks, areas in this zip, and wonderful homes at amazingly affordable prices. If you are interested in a comparative study of neighborhood characteristics let me know. Three of my builder even do BUILD to SUIT rehabs at a fixed price. If you use the Crime Stats function on Baltimore's website be sure to compare to where you live now, or an area you feel comfortable with - that's the only way I find that tool to be really useful. 410-258-8935 REBECCA REEVES and CHRIS EMRY CBRB