Schools in Mountain Lakes>Question Details

Mguill, Home Buyer in Mountain Lakes, NJ

need 2 know which middle/upper class North NJ towns have 10/31 kindergarten deadline? Will highly influence my buying decision (600k-800k) range?

Asked by Mguill, Mountain Lakes, NJ Sat Nov 27, 2010

Answers

2
Mguill

Are you referring to private or public schools? Many of the public school districts I am familiar with (mostly in Essex County) have a cutoff date of October 1st. According to the State of New Jersey, Department of Education under the FAQs:

Q. What is the cut-off date for kindergarten entry in New Jersey?

A. Local school districts can establish a cut-off date for kindergarten entry on October 1 or later. Residents must follow their local school board policies regarding cut-off dates.
N.J.S.A.18A:38-5 - Admission of Pupils Underage

Q. Can my child be admitted to first grade after transferring from a kindergarten program in an out-of-district public or private school?

A. Regardless of whether the child has attended kindergarten, no board of education is required to accept a transfer student from public or private school who has not turned six by October 1 of that school year. However, the board can admit any pupil if he or she meets such entrance requirements as established by rules or regulations of the board in accordance with N.J.S.A. 18A:38-5.

My oldest son is born after October 1st and before October 31st so obviously he missed the cutoff (Oct 1st). Actually all 3 of my children missed the cutoff dates but my oldest one being the closest to the cutoff. He is now one of the older boys in his fifth grade class and I see it as an advantage as I've seen some boys and girls who just made the cutoff at a disadvantage. Offhand I do not know of any districts which have a cutoff date later than October 1st. The ones I did know of have now changed to October 1st. Depending on what your reasons are (i.e., if you work and are looking for a kindergarten as opposed to paying daycare; if your child is exceptionally bright [I know people who have had their child tested to start kindergarten earlier because they met the academic expectations]; , perhaps a private kindergarten program may help.

Gina Chirico, Sales Associate
Lattimer Realty
973-715-1158 cell
973-575-6353 ext 17 office
Gina@GinaChiricoRealEstate.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 28, 2010
Hi Mguill - All of the towns around Morris County, Bergen County, Essex County, etc.......our student cut off dates are between October 1st - September 30th. I have seen so many exceptions made. I have two sons in the Randolph school system and there are many boys who may have an August birthday and they were held to give them the advantage. Are you speaking about a daughter or a son? As a parent, I do understand the importance of school and my children so please feel free to call me on my cell 201-650-3722 to discuss in further detail. I look forward to hearing from you. Jill
Web Reference: http://www.JILLSOUTHREN.COM