Schools in Alhambra>Question Details

Cosmasky928, Renter in Phoenix, AZ

my son is diabetic does the school nurse have any exsperence in managing him while at school

Asked by Cosmasky928, Phoenix, AZ Tue Jun 28, 2011

0 votes Share Flag Schools in Alhambra

Help the community by answering this question:


Other responses are absolutely correct that you should contact the school/district personnel to find out about the school nurse. And, interviewing the nurse about experiece in woking with diabetics is an excellent idea. However, you may be surprised to find that some schools do not have a full time nurse on staff (because of budget cuts) and utilize floating schedules for some of them. This means that one nurse may be assigned to several schools and on campus for only a few hours each day. So a second question to ask is whether or not the nurse is full or part time on campus. You may also want to inquire about parent permission slips for emergency treatment.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 29, 2011
Considering that it is summer time and most of the schools are closed you are likely to run into a harder time finding out about the abilities and experiences of a certain district, let alone a certain school or staff member. I would be shocked if anyone here in this Trulia community can answer your question, and if they can I would question their answer. Try first to call the district offices. If the district office is closed you might not be able to have your question answered for some time. Best of luck, sorry we cannot help more.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 28, 2011
Good that you are asking the question. It is always better to know than to assume. I suggest you call the school directly and talk with the nurse. Or better yet, visit the nurse at the school and discuss the care your son needs. Another option would be to also talk with the school district. They should be able to help you.

And to find the phone number of the school, you can google it.

Good luck!

Jose Dias, REALTOR
(623) 418-5700
Realty One Scottsdale
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 28, 2011
You should contact the school district office to find the school policy about administration of your sons medications. Most school nurses have a limited role in this day of legal battles and sensitivity, but because your son is in need there may even be a special education teacher that is certified to administer his meds. I am not implying that your son is a special ed student, I am simply saying that some special ed teachers have additional training to word with their students that other teacher may not. I suggest contact the school district office and even know what school your son will attend in advance to know further about the staff. Good Luck.

Matt Puzz
Licensed Loan Originator
Amerifirst Financial, Inc.
1910 S. Stapley Drive #209
Mesa, AZ 85204
Direct: 602-410-9333
Office: 480-682-6617
Fax: 480-344-3687
NMLS# 213777 AZ LO-0915068
Apply Online:
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 28, 2011
Yours is one of the most interesting questions I've seen on Trulia. Unfortunately, it is a question that can only be addressed, with certainty, by the health care practitioner at the school in question.

I suggest you call the school and make an appointment to speak with their health care staff.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 28, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer