Schools in Smith Hill>Question Details

Alice Mcaloon, Home Buyer in Providence, RI

is this section a good place to raise a family?

Asked by Alice Mcaloon, Providence, RI Mon Aug 6, 2012

Answers

2
If you're referring to the East Side, absolutely. Low crime, no violence, lots of kid-oriented activities...schools (public) are challenged by a destitute city budget, but, IMHO, Nathan Bishop gets a B grade. Most East Side kids who go to public school go here.

We have a 12-year old daughter who is doing okay there. Would she receive more personal attention at one of the $20k+ private schools here? Of course, But the staff @ NB is really dedicated and vested in their students. Unlike the other public schools here, the principal and union agreed to let him select his teaching staff, who he holds to high standards.

Like I said, there are a lot of activities, such as a community sailing club/school/camp, ice skating rink downtown, a great Y & Jewish Community Center (open to all), a couple of great scouting troops...I can go on... It's worth investigating...
My best advice to you would be to check out local websites regarding the school systems, the crime in the area, if there are any sexy offenders, etc... If you send me an email I can send you some websites that you can browse around to get more info about the neighborhood. Best of luck! :-)