Schools in Kansas City>Question Details

Tfayf, Other/Just Looking in Kansas City, KS

is there a way I can get my kids into shawnee mission schools if I live in KCK?

Asked by Tfayf, Kansas City, KS Tue May 1, 2012

Its so close to roland park like by blocks. I don't want my kids to go to KCK schools.

Answers

2
I grew up on 8th street terr. 2 blocks north of county line rd. until I was 8(1985-93). I attended k-3 at T.A. Edison elementary before moving to Olathe, I was kind of an obnoxious kid and In KCK they gave me an IQ test and put me in a special TAG (talented and gifted) class twice a week which I loved. When I got to Johnson county they had no Idea how to handle me and I was in trouble a lot. Long story short I wish we would have stayed in KCK, and as a result of starting school there, I believe I am a much more well rounded person than I would have been growing up in Johnson county alone. I could understand not wanting to send your kids to Harmon High, but there are half a dozen private high schools in KC. My parents moved to the JO because of the schools, I'm sure they would agree It was not at all a factor in the way we turned out. In fact when we moved to olathe I was ahead of my classmates in reading and math, and I promise there is a far greater chance of your kids running with a bad crowd and using drugs in a Johnson County high school than at Harmon. I have a friend who lived in Argentine his whole life and moved from Harmon to olathe south in 10th grade, and promptly tried marijuana and alcohol for the first time in his life. I would rather send my kid to schlagle than SM North. All I'm saying is elementary schools in kck give you the same education as the ones in JO. And btw Im sure you could rent a place in Johnson county for the months school is in session,and use that as your address when enrolling them, and that's legal also. but I would let them go to T.A Edison and Rosedale middle and save your money, to send them to rockhurst, or the barstow school in HS, If you think that will make a difference. but I've found that people learn as much as there ambition allows, regardless of circumstance. just my opinion.
When I lived over there I called the Shawnee Mission School district and they told me that I could but it would be a large fee per child, seems like I remember 3K per kid per year and only if there is availability... just call up to the school district and get the info..
,
Shanee mission school suck and it cost 1100 per kid and that was this year they change depending on who you are
Flag Wed Aug 29, 2012