Schools in East Harlem>Question Details

Bernadette, Home Buyer in Las Vegas, NV

is 117 st between pleasant and 1st ave. a good place to raise a family?

Asked by Bernadette, Las Vegas, NV Fri Nov 12, 2010

Answers

10
Hi Bernadette,

I live in this neighborhood and I like it very much. Only you are the best judge on where is the right place to raise your family, however, I love showing my neighborhood off and would be happy to walk around the area with you so you can get better acquainted with what the area has to offer.

Sami Saghie, MBA, Bsc
VP Sales
Ross Realty International

917-767-7248
sami@rri-llc.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 14, 2010
Bernadette, your question can certainly be a difficult one for brokers to answer!
I can tell you though that 117th street has a TON of new construction buldings around, and the old ones are getting redone as well. My wife and I were just there yesterday (at the Best Buy!) and I was amazed how far the developements have come the past few months! Car transportation is a breeze to 117th & 1st avenue--and Target (still no answer) was contemplating installing a free shuttle service to help the transportation to the East / West.

If you haven't been to East Harlem at all, you can get some great information and photos of the area from my website, HarlemProperties.com.

The purpose of that site is to help people like YOU you may not know much about Harlem, get to know it a bit more before making a major purchase.

I think Harlem is a smart investment no matter.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 13, 2010
This is not a great neiborhood, and definitely A definitely a big NO for schools.. Better areas-more money..
Keep renting in Fort Lee, NJ- Vickfrny. We bought our home here 7 years ago and found many families in the area and a few good schools. The area is compared to the way the East Village was 20 years ago. It is a neighborhood in transition with improvements being made constantly.
Flag Sun Feb 1, 2015
I have some properties in that area. If you would like to view them, please contact me. My name is Tanuja and I can be reached at 347-882-0353. Thank you and good luck.
Hi Bernadette,

East Harlem continues to evolve. In my opinion, as a Harlem Real Estate Broker, slower than other areas of the city and of Harlem. At the location you mention, transportation is still not that great. The 2nd Avenue subway will eventually creep its way up there but that is several years in the future. A new shopping mall was built at 116th Street and the East River, which is revitalizing the whole area. I give East Harlem 2.5 stars as location conducive to raising a family. It is trying.
Dear Stefania,
Know the area--please do remember/review your Federal, State and Local Fair Housing Laws........
Respects,
Anna
Dear Anna,
Certainly. Upper Manhattan as glorious as it can be still for some reason is for the most part misunderstood.
i would be pleased to speak further about this should you care for a more detailed introduction and advise.
I look forward to speaking with you.
respects,
Stefania
If you are buying in any specific building, just ask the people who live there. And most of all watch who is coming and going in the building, on the block, across the street and do that at all times of day. That should say it all. And then, unless you are sure of what you are buying, don't spend the money.
After all you are spending your hard earned money and some to make this purchase.
Fern Hamberger
646-660-0060
Sr. Associate Broker
fhamberger@citi-habitats.com
Anna said is all. I would also recommend checking the crime statistics on the NYPD website.

Sorry we can't give you a better answer.
Web Reference: http://bondnewyork.com
Since real estate professionals are prohibited from steering, enticing a buyer to purchase, or not, in specific neighborhoods, consider doing some research of your own--research online, visit the area more than once and at different times of day, possibly chat with locals/neighbors, check out the schools, shops, etc., and then make a determination, will your comfort level be reached.