Schools in 97080>Question Details

Ashley, Home Buyer in Gresham - Kelly Creek,...

is 97080 is a good place to raise a family?

Asked by Ashley, Gresham - Kelly Creek, Gresham, OR Wed Jun 23, 2010

0 votes Share Flag Schools in 97080

Answers

6
Hi Ashley,

I agree with Sean about generalizing within a zip code. That said, I have lived in the 97080 zip code and really enjoyed where I lived. If schools are (or will be) an important factor you should definitely check out the report cards for where your child will attend as well as visiting the school. You will always get the inside skinny from neighbors (sometimes much more than you really need) so ask questions. Spend some time in some of the local parks to see what the activity is and whether or not you feel comfortable. Gresham has numerous parks and open spaces so check them out and enjoy.

If you need further assistance you can reach me at (503) 495-3123 directly or visit my website to start your home search.

Garett Chadney, Principal Broker, SFR
RE/MAX Equity Group
Ashley-
From a mom's perspective that raised 3 boys in this particular area- I loved this area for several reasons. My boys went to Kelly Creek, Gordon Russell and Barlow/CAL. I volunteered in the schools and found parent involvement very high which to me translated into a great community to help raise our boys. They participated in music and sports- because of the opportunities open to them within the city programs and schools - and a highlight was their involvement with CAL (Center for Advanced Learning) . In a student's junior and senior year in high school they can chose to attend CAL for a specialized business related field. It was such a great experience that it helped motivate and prepare one of my sons to continue his education into a specialized field of computer programming for the video game industry. He had the opportunity to build a robot and compete in a national competition at CAL. I found the staff at Barlow and CAL especially very supportive to help students excel. Wherever you chose to raise your family- I encourage you to talk to other parents especially who have been in those schools as it makes all the difference.
Ashley, it is always good to drive around an area like Kelly Creek and see if you like the feel of the area. then you can check the schools and shopping and see what you think about the area. I suggest calling the schools and talking to the administration and see if you have an special needs for school. Most neighborhood's that are built the builders try and keep the values with in 10-15% of each other so as you drive around you will see areas that are more expensive and less expensive. You need a good agent to take your wish list and apply it to the neighborhoods that you want. Let me know if you need any assistance.

Tom Inglesby, Broker
RE/MAX Equity Group inc
ABR, CRS, CDPE, Earth Advantage Broker
503-319-9035
Here's that link that didn't get into that last post of mine: http://www.bybryson.com/schools.htm
That part of Gresham has many nice neighborhoods. Like any other city or community, though, some neighborhoods may be less desirable, depending on what you're looking for. Sean's advice below is excellent. Also check out the following web page to find more information on local schools in Gresham and the 97080 ZIP code.

Web Reference: http://www.bybryson.com
A zip code generally isn't a great way of determining whether or not it is a good place to raise a family. The first thing I always recommend is contacting the local police precinct. they are able to tell you if any of your possible immediate neighbors are "troublesome" also check the school report cards. They tend to be an indicator of how a community is doing. lastly I always recommend walking the neighborhood a few times and talking to neighbors. walk morning, midday, evening if possible. can give you a better feel for the area and people then when it is bright and quiet.