Schools in Snellville>Question Details

Rusty Brown, Renter in Atlanta, GA

if you are assigned shiloh can you take your child to R D Head?

Asked by Rusty Brown, Atlanta, GA Sun Apr 7, 2013

This question was asked from…

Help the community by answering this question:


Also wanted to add the caveat that if you are not pleased with the schools in the area you are zoned for and plan on using someone else's address, you will be required to provide documentation (utility bills) as well as a notorized statement from the owner of the home, lease outlining who the home/apartment is leased to and the duration of the lease. These items will need to be current and updated yearly.

This is due to the fact that people have unfortunately tried to utilize addresses of vacant properties thinking no one will find out. Bus drivers report daily if they suspect a student no longer resides at an address. There are also bus supervisors following at any given time to make sure the buses are doing what they are supposed to. This is not the same as a student getting off the bus and walking a couple of houses to a sitter. There have been students who have moved completely out of the cluster and who have been driven back to their former bus stops to go to their former schools.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 22, 2013
You may apply for a permissive transfer, but contingencies are approval by assigned school principal AND requested school's principal. There is also the understanding that you will have to provide your child's transportation (only student's home cluster will transport them to their home cluster school unless there is verified special need and the non-home cluster school provides the services your child requries). Attendance is very highly scrutinized as well as test scores and discipline records. If your child has a discipline record, it will be found out almost if not immediately when records are requested from previous school. If you plan on using the 'my child has been home schooled so there is no record' statements, rigorous evaluation protocols are in place to aid in placing your student.

You can find out which school your child is zoned for by contacting GCPS Board of Ed, Transportation Division. Please DO NOT rely on your agent to know which school your home is zoned for. Their information could be based on the previous year's zoning coordinates. They're job is to sell you a home, period. We do not make the rezoning decisions, the Board of Education does. We have opened up several school in the past 5-7 years and the difference in zoning could be the side of the street your home is on. You may also call the school you pass by for yourself and speak with the registrar and/or transportation clerk who can pull your exact address over the phone for you and let you know.

The elementary school I work at has had many a disappointed parent who signed ALL THOSE closing documents, only to come in with their HUD 1 statements and blame US for 'putting the school' in the next cluster over. We do not make the zoning decisions. The Board of Education for Gwinnett County does. Be responsible, be diligent, be an informed consumer. Your agent may say they want you to 'let them handle everything,' but the adage 'Buyer Beware' must ALWAYS reign. Just as you (hopefully) take the time to check out your children's friends, acquaintances, doctors, etc, take the time to do the same with the location you are interested in.

Call the schools in the area you are being shown, ask them about their parent involvement, neighborhood involvement, community partnerships, volunteer involvement, if there are any mentoring initiatives, how involved they are among their lower level/higher level schools (ie: are there students that participate in peer leadership involvement where the high school Seniors will give back to the younger grade students by going back to those schools during the week and help with reading, writing, or just a positive presence).

Gwinnett County Public Schools are organized into Clusters. This means that 3 to 5 elementary schools students will feed into 1 to 2 middle schools and those students will feed into the high school zoned for that cluster. This promotes a sense of cohesiveness amongst the students, parents, community, and school.

Perform due diligence so that you will be able to say, I did everything I could think of to ensure my family's success.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 22, 2013
Flag Mon Sep 22, 2014
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer