Schools in Saint Louis>Question Details

Sanela Medje…, Home Buyer in Saint Louis, MO

if there are several schools in your district, can you pick which school you want your child to go to ?

Asked by Sanela Medjedovic, Saint Louis, MO Mon Feb 25, 2013

This question was asked from http://www.trulia.com/property/3109728299-1205-Mangrove-Ln-S…

Answers

5
I have to agree with the comments. Most area's have an assigned district but the option of having your child bussed to a different school district does exist. My children are out of school now but when I lived in the city, they both went to school in other districts. One went to Fenton and the other went to magnet. Check with the board of education and see if those options still exist. I suggest that you do your research. It will help you to make an informed decision.

Wishing you the best!
Each home is in a school district. Each district is divided up into "feeder patterns" that assign a child to a particular elementary, middle and high school based on their address in order to ensure that the schools do not become over crowded at one location while another school doesn't have enough students. If there are special circumstances such as a special needs child or a child who moves from one school to another in the middle of the school year, the district may give a special dispensation to allow the child to go to the other school. Other exceptions are things like:
If you are in an area that is serviced by a magnet school, the parents can apply for the child to go to the magnet school
If the school district is unaccreditated there may be special provisions for the children to go to a neighboring distict
If a child is involved in the interdistrict busing program

Parents can always pay to put their children in private or parochial or faith based schools.
Usually not, the only time the district will allow it is if there are bad tests scores at one school. They will also allow it in extreme circumstances but it has to be approved by the district.
Hi Sanela, Unfortunately, the answer is no unless the school that you want to send you child to attend allows you to send your child there if you pay tuition. Or - unless you live in the city and are of African American descent, in which you can apply to the Voluntary Inter-district Choice Corporation. As Realtors, we post the elementary, middle and high schools that the house is zoned for. You do have choices with private schools where you pay tuition. Often times with Parochial schools, they require you to attend the parochial school within your Parish. Please let me know how else I can help you. 314.495.9089 or Penny@RedKeyStLouis.com
Sanela,
I currently have children in the Fort Zumwalt school district at Emge Elementary & FZ South Middle. We're very happy with the districts education, policies & educators. 5 years ago we lived in the Rockwood School District and my kids attended Pond Elementary, also a terrific district & school!

Hope this helps!
Dawn Singer
Residential Real Estate Agent
Prudential Select Properties
Dawn@Singersellsstl.com
314-517-3020 Direct
636-720-1100 Office
I know your post was from a few years ago but I was wondering if you know anything about Dardenne Elementary School. The ratings aren't very good on greatschools.com but every other school in the Ft. Zumwalt district is rated great. Some of the reviews I read said that it should be rated much higher but I'm worried about sending my kiddo though.

Any chance you would be willing to email me? kb_downing@hotmail.com
I'm also trying to find recommendations for a pediatrician. Thank you!!
Flag Fri Jun 10, 2016