Schools in 32951>Question Details

floridanafar…, Other/Just Looking in Melbourne Beach, FL

how is your experience with hoover middle school for 8th graders? my daughter has been homeschooled her wholelife and we moved into the state 2011 in

Asked by floridanafarms, Melbourne Beach, FL Wed May 29, 2013

0 votes Share Flag Schools in 32951

Answers

1
Hoover is an excellent school, as is Gemini and Indialantic Elementary schools. I had two children go to Gemini, then Hoover and Mel HS. All have typical challenges for the age group, etc but Hoover was the favorite experience for my kids. My children spent half a year in FLVS home schooled while we were in Australia, and then returned to MHS. So I have some limited perspective on home schooling. Kids making the transition from home schooled to Hoover will need some socialization and "thick skin" as kids at that age are MEAN. Kids find cliques quickly or are outsiders. This is true at any middle school. My recommendation is to make the move to public school sooner than later, assimilate and it will be a good experience. Once your kids start considering college while in HS, the home schooling can present challenges. Universities really want much more than excellent grades and SAT scores, such as clubs, student government, yearbook, newspaper, and community services activities. There are many social opportunities that the public schools offer that are hard to compensate for with home schooling.