Schools in Florida>Question Details

Jeff Parson, Home Buyer in 10469

best places to live in florida

Asked by Jeff Parson, 10469 Sat Aug 2, 2008

0 votes Share Flag Schools in Florida

I have to agree with Phil. Duval and St. Johns counties are great places to live. I moved here from Georgia about 12 years ago and I am proud to call Jacksonville my home.
Whether it’s the abundance of cultural offerings, sports or outdoor activities, Northeast Florida provides an oasis of peace and recreation. The beaches, St. Johns River and the many other navigable waterways throughout the six-county region provide an array of opportunity for all who enjoy swimming, fishing, surfing, sailing or other water-related activities. We have football, golf, baseball, tennis and the list goes on.

The American Chamber of Commerce Research Association Cost of Living Index identified Jacksonville as the city with the lowest cost of living among Florida’s five major metropolitan areas and lower than any major metropolitan area in the Southeast. With a 92.2 ACCRA Cost of Living rating, Jacksonville’s cost of living index is nearly 10 points below the national average.

Shonda Sauls,REALTOR®
Prudential Network Realty
(904)260-4300 #625 Office
(904)962-6139 Mobile
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Aug 2, 2008
Well, hello Jeff! I guess I might as well cast my vote as well. Let me tell you a little bit about the Destin area here in the panhandle of Northwest Florida. We have crystalline clear aqua water that rivals anything anywhere (including ALL the worldwide vacation spots, and I have been to many of them), sugar white sand, four seasons, so you don't get bored, and resort level restaurants, shopping, boating. We are surrounded by the Federal lands of Eglin Air Force Base, the largest military installation in the world, so that we have lots of open spaces with NO urban sprawl! We have the top ranked school system in the state of Florida here in Okaloosa County, with all four high schools ranked in the top by Newsweek Magazine. They have specialties such as aviation and information technology and a collegiate high school where a student can graduate from high school with an associate degree. We have two colleges within our close ranks. I came here 11 years ago to visit, bought a house in 2001, and would not consider leaving the area. It is true love!! I can share lots of information with you if you think this sounds like what you are looking for.
Web Reference:
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Aug 2, 2008
I just noticed that almost all the answers are from Real Estate Agents and they atre certainly going to be partial to the area they sell in.
My husband,6 yr old daughter and myself are wanting to relocate to Okeechobee FL. I am needing some information about Okeechobee. Is it a good place to live, crime rate, schools. What ever you would like to tell me about the town. We found a house we are intersted and it is in Everglades Elementary school district. Thank You in advance!!
Are there any safe and nice areas in and around Tampa that have excellent schools? I'm considering a relocation and the position is in Tampa. I'd prefer to have some property then be in a big city. I don't mind commuting to work about 20 - 30 minutes for the right community. Even if there is something between Orlando/Tampa where the areas are safe and schools are good can be considered.
I have a Florida Real Estate Brokers License and lived and traveled in Florida for 14 years. I still travel there but do not sell there anymore so I am not trying to sell you a home in any area. Venice, Sarasota, Englewood, Punta Gorda on the west coast all lower crime and beautiful. Gainesville home of UF, Lake Mary/ Longwood areas just north of Orlando in the center of the state. The east coast and south Florida may be OK if you don't mind higher crime, congestion, more concrete and blacktop and colder less clear water at the beach. Example: when I jogged in the places I mentioned most other joggers would wave or say hello as you passed. If you did that on most of the east coast or SoFL, they looked at you like you were a serial killer or just ignored you.
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 8, 2011
I like the Sarasota Area, has a geat down town with plenty of shops and restaurants and if you are looking for a good realtor contact Debra Codella of Coldwell Bank very professional.
The Treasure Coast is a beautiful place to live. I have been here for over 6 years and like culture and the beaches...

Derek SImmons
Realty Unlimited Inc. GMAC
If you are thinking about moving to South Florida, There are so many great areas. I would like to recommend an area where I specialize in, which is Pinecrest, Palmetto Bay, The Falls area and South Miami.These areas have great schools and its a great location for your family. Its close to all the great acgtivities there are to do in South Florida. If you need any help what so ever in finding a home please give me a call at anytime at 786-374-9076.

Jeff Margolis
Your South Florida Realtor
South Florida is very good place to live, but if you see above a lot of adices, it is all depends what are you looking for: beaches, schools, party etc.
But I think we all Blessed to lie in Florida! Good Luck!!!
I have lived in the Sarasota county area, Charlotte county area and Hillsborough county and I can tell you from exp. Brevard county (where I currently live) is by far the best area I have lived in since moving too Florida 20+ years ago. Great schools, beaches, entertainment, food and overall atmosphere.. If you have any questions about Brevard county please call me at 321 917-7828 ask for David Rufino/ Lic. Real Estate Agent Pruitt Real Estate Inc.
Joice a place to live envolves a lot of aspects, you have to think about schools if you have kids, about neighborhoods if you want a calm or agitated, if you want more at the center or other area. I believe Florida is a great place to live and have options for all tastes. If you want more information about houses to live in Florida visit in
I happen to be partial to Punta Gorda! Much of the town was destroyed in Hurricane Charley, and has now been rebuilt into a fabulous waterfront town with booutique hotels, waterfront restaurants, downtown evolution, new marinas, art galleries...learn more about it below!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 8, 2009
Check out Sarasota & Englewood, good schools and everything you could ask for in a community. Culture plus great beaches & fishing. Old Florida with a small town atmosphere. Public school for the gifted - Pine View. We also have some of the best priced homes in Florida.

For additional information call me.

Maryann Casey
Another great Seminole County link...
It depends what you are looking for. If it's top rated public schools, then Seminole County is the best choice for you in Florida. And, within Seminole County, the best Cities to live in are Lake Mary, Winter Springs and Oviedo. These cities have the best schools in Seminole County and the lowest crime rates. They are also close to major highways with relatively close proximity to all the major job areas of Central Florida.
Check out the schools yourself.. Links for ratings for both Palm Beach Schools which include Boca Raton and the second link is for Broward County School which include Coral Springs. Most (not all) of the schools in both cities are A rated.…
Englewood, Florida! It's the best kept secret...small, quaint, beautiful beaches, golf courses...and sunny! Check it out!
Hi Jeff,

When my wife and I decided to leave the corpoarte world behind we did a lot of research and chose Harmony in Osceola County. Check it out. You'll be glad you did.

Good Luck, Mark
its got to be BOCA RATON! All the schools are rated " A_PLUS", fabulous shopping, the most beautiful beaches, located right smack in-between Fort Lauderdale and Delray Beach, close to airports, major roadways. Boca Raton has everything you would want in Florida -living . A great place to raise a family! I 'specialize' in Family Real Estate, so call Cheryl Mays, UNITED REALTY GROUP, 561-706-1084
What wikipedia has to say about Coral Springs.

Coral Springs was ranked as the 27th best city in the United States in which to live by Money Magazine in 2006;[17] was named the 10th safest city in the US by Morgan Quitno in 2007;[18] and was identified as one of the 100 best communities for kids by America's Promise, also in 2007.[19] In 2007, Coral Springs became the first state or local government in the nation to receive the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award.[20]

Go Coral Springs, Florida

Cynthia Barron
Coral Springs Resident for over 20 years
Realtor, Green
The Keyes Company Realtors
Coral Springs/Parkland Office
South Florida Miami, Fort Lauderdale, areas have the most action. Best restaurants , beaches, and nightlife you name it. You can search the Florida MLS for homes at It’s always a good idea to get pre qualified unless you are paying cash for a home. FHA home loans are the easiest home loan to qualify for Visit
to learn more about FHA home loans.
Please enclude Englewood and Rotonda in your search. We are right on the Gulf and some of the best boating, fishing, beaches and golf in Florida.
There are many great places in Florida. From The Florida Keys to The Florida Panhandle. Depending on what your goals, needs and lifestyle demands. Florida offers golfcourse, waterfront, city and rural communities. Prices vary considerably from neighborhood to neighborhood too. South Florida, Central Florida, and The West coast are just a few of the major destinations.

There is an area of southwest Florida that should not be over looked during any search. Climate, housing, employment, safety, beach access, and social & cultural activity are aspects that have made the Sarasota/Venice region "The Best Place to Relocate" and "Best Place to Retire."

Our recommendation includes the region between Sarasota, Venice, Englewood, and North Port. There is something for everyone in these areas and they are not over crowded.

The entire state of Florida has something to offer and it depends on your personal preference where your happiness can be found. Your search should include an information gathering trip that includes these will not be disappointed.

The "Eckler Team"
Michael Saunders & Company
If you are concerned witht he school systems in FL then St. Johns county is where it's at. Almost every school is A rated. Also, the lifestyle here isn't too bad either. My farm area is the Jacksonville Beaches, Ponte Vedra Beach (including Nocatee and Palm Valley), South PV Beach, and Vilano Beach. Most communities in St. Johns county is centered around golf, tennis, the ocean, or the Guana Preserve. Ponte Vedra Beach High School is set to open in the fall for its inagural year. Ponte Vedra is a luxury resort community with tons of ammentites, pristine landscaping, and southern hospitality. We are only minutes to downtown JAX, but still have a sense of "small town" life.

For more information, please email me for listing info at or visit my company's website at It has links to public and private schools as well as general information about the local lifestyle here in Northeast FL.
Web Reference:
Although I do not work or live in the Destin FL area, my vote and personal favorite is the same as Myke's. My family regularly vacations in the Destin area several times a year. Over the years, I have lived in Miami, Daytona Beach, and Ft. Lauderdale as well as have frequently visited various FL locations while on business & pleasure including such areas as Orlando, Tampa, Clearwater, Pembroke Pines, Jacksonville, Key West and the like.

As someone else mentioned, you just need to make a list of what you (and your family) want and need in a primary residence or second home and go for it!

Happy Trails - Ted
Vicki Masell…, Real Estate Pro in Duluth, GA
Jeff, Like Phil said, it depends on what you are looking for, St. George Island is a great choice for getting away from it all. With 23 miles of sugar white sand beaches and great flats fishing and superb offshore fishing in the gulf, St. George Island is hard to beat. Just across the bridge is the Historical town of Apalachicola with numerous turn of the century homes with architecture ranging from Queen Anne to Greek Revival and of course Old Florida Vernacular. There are approximately 10,000 residents for the whole county yet it is one of the largest in the state, most of it in Federal and State preservation land. Come here to beat the crowds. By the way they call it the "FORGOTTEN COAST"

St.Johns County, in North East Florida, on the Atlantic Ocean, has what may be the best public schools. Almost every one was A rated this year.

St. Augustine, America's Oldest City, and Ponte Vedra Beach, home of The Players Championship at Sawgrass, both great places to live, work, raise a family or retire, are located in St. Johns County.

Call or e-mail me for a relocation package!
Hi Jeff,

Definitely Lake County, just North of Orlando and East of Disney World area! Stunning rolling hills, gorgeous vegetation, thousands of lakes, crystal clear springs and spring runs, low crime, good quality of life and great values. We are a bedroom community for Orlando, as well as, a retirement haven. For myself - I moved here from Orlando when I married and had children who are (just now barely) grown and I still love it as much as when I came here! Lovely slower pace and unparalleled natural beauty. Some of the quaint villages and towns have a festival flair and a New England flair with cute vintage cottage styles of homes. Many are situated ont he shores of some of the larger lakes in a phenomenal chain of lakes within the county boundaries - with one lake consisting of almost 16,000 acres. The lakes in the chain range from about 400, with one at 4,000 and two more around 8,000 and 10,000. Lake Yale, which is located north of the charming town of Eustis, is a landlocked lake of 4,000 acres. To the north is the Ocala National Forest which is the home of the famous Silver Springs (if you remember the tv show Sea Hunt, that was filmed there, and the Tarzan movies were filmed on the Silver River), and also other springs, including Alexander Springs and Silver Glen Springs. Lake George, on the north end of the county, is the second largest lake in Florida behind Lake Okeechobee. The St. Johns River flows out of north end of the Harris Chain of Lakes all the way north to the Atlantic Ocean in Jacksonville, on which you can travel by boat from here to the Atlantic Ocean.

Below is the address to our county website. Enjoy navigating around that and when you'd like a personal tour or information on rentals or homes, just give me a call! Happy hunting!
Web Reference:

It depends what you are looking for. If you want reasonably priced waterfront, look in the Tampa Bay / St. Petersburg Area, if you want rural equestrian, go to Ocala.

It is easier to determine what would suit your needs if you were to tell us what you are looking for. Similarly if I was to ask you where should you live in NY?

Web Reference:
Fort Myers Beach, Florida, an intimate island community with easy, quick access to Fort Myers. Fort Myers Beach also boasts a superior Elementary School, Bay Oaks. For more info, please feel free to contact me.

LLoyd Nichols
Right Choice Realty LLC
cell: 239-810-2980
Fax: 239-463-4826
home office: 239-463-5217

Active Rain Blog:
Website Blog: