Schools in 76248>Question Details

Christy, Both Buyer and Seller in Midcities, TX

Why do the highly-acclaimed Keller schools only have 1/2 day kindergarten? Is there after school care?

Asked by Christy, Midcities, TX Thu Mar 27, 2008

provided for children with no one at home during the day?
Are there businesses that provide after school care for Keller kindergarten children for the other half of the day? What did single parents and dual-income families do?

0 votes Share Flag Schools in 76248

Answers

4
I have always wondered that myself. A friend of mine that is a teacher thinks that since Keller is one of the fastest growing areas that they do not have enough space yet. Every year another elementary school is opening so maybe they will change that policy soon. From what I hear, yes, they do have after school care but it is hard to get into. They have a long waiting list.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 27, 2008
full day kindergarten is not required by the state
by having half-day kindergarten Keller gets 2-4-1--twice as many students with half the number of classrooms and teachers--it is totally a budgetary issue and as long as so many families with K age kids are moving into the district or having babies that will become K aged kids it probably won't change...
unless you want to see your school taxes going up more....
My son did better in half day classes starting out.
I still prefer that for myself for college. All day can be a hardship on the younger ones.
Some schools will offer after school programs.
Family time and parent care is still very important in todays world.
Reading time is always a good thing at home where we can pick out what they read.
Quality is better for our youngsters. I found my son still remembers and appriciated
our time praying and reading scriptures together at night. It also seemed to help him
sleep better. All day classes when he was younger was a hardship on him. Our quality
time at home was so much better then what he got the extra couple hours at school
when he was in K. I was able to give him a lot at home in a short period of time with our
one on one learning at home as well. We made hay out of that time. I hope you can too.
Some thought is they are 2 young to spend all day at that age, family bonding is still critical. Some areas do have 1/2 day and ful day,
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com