Schools in 32746>Question Details

Ron, Home Buyer in Wellington, FL

Which one is better Seminole High School or Lake mary High School ?

Asked by Ron, Wellington, FL Tue Feb 2, 2010

0 votes Share Flag Schools in 32746

Answers

6
We bought a house 12 years ago, 2 miles from Lake Mary High School.
Our daughter started the pre IB program at Millenium Middle School and found it to
have ALOT more to offer with the Magnet Arts program.
She started the IB program at Seminole this year.
Being I played in the US Army Band and currently play at Disney World.
I recommend Seminole's Bands. They have a much better program than Lake Mary's.
Good morning Ron.

Asking Realtors or parents about which school is the best is somewhat like opening a conversation about religion or politics. You'll definitely get strong opinions and most every parent is passionate about their child's education and most are loyal to our alma mater.

While I don't disagree with the comments below I would point you to an unbiased resource that rates the schools, the Florida Department of Education. Certainly there are people who say standardized testing isn't an accurate way of rating a school but it IS the at schools are rated and I haven't seen a better method. So you could at least consider the state's rating system for what it is worth to you. While the magnet programs may be important to some, the caliber of the overall education grades rated against standards (for reading, writing, math and science) should be helpful for comparison.

Disclosure: I didn't gradute from either of these schools and my children didn't attend either of these schools although they did graduate from Lake Brantley High here in Seminole County and I have lived and sold real estate here for twenty years. I wouldn't tell anyone where they should send their child for an education but the facts from the FL DOE are:

Seminole High has had a "C" or "D" school grade for nine of the last eleven years. Lake Mary High has had an "A" or "B" grade ten of the last eleven years. So Seminole is a C-D school and Lake Mary is an A-B school over a long period of time using the FL Dept. of Education criteria to grade all schools in the state. I will mention that the grades show Seminole High has been improving and has their first "A" and "B" grade along with two "C's" in the last four years so that is a marked improvement in recent years and they should be commended for going in the right direction.

Also, Seminole High has not achieved the number of total points as Lake Mary since the State began this rating system. Lake Mary has achieved a higher points total in eight consecutive years over Seminole and it's not even close.

These are academic ratings so if you want the best band, the best football team or the magnet program or some other criteria anyone could make a case for either school. But if you want measured, historical, consistent and detailed data on School Accountability in the eyes of the Department of Education, you ccan see the "grades" for all Florida schools at the FL Dept. of Education site:

http://schoolgrades.fldoe.org/default.asp

I hope this doesn't offend anyone by using the facts from the state or at least adding that into the mix of things to consider whne choosing the "best" school. I certainly agree that the best education for your child could be with a school that is not the highest rated school. I have had numerous parents who have relocated here and I've taken them to the schools and met with the administrators so they can ask questions and get a feel for the school based on what is important to them for their children. I sincerely hope this helps.

Have a great day and please let me know of you have any additional questions.

Marty Hunt, Realtor®, ABR, CRS, GRI, e-PRO
Florida Home Team Realty, LLC
Direct, Anytime: (407) 869-7779
Email: mailto:marty@martyhunt.com
Web Site: http://FloridaHomeTeam.com or http://www.MyFloridaHomesMLS.com/Marty

See Thousands of Foreclosures and Bank Owned Properties! Go to http://www.OrlandoForeclosureProperty.com
and click on "FORECLOSURE".
Web Reference: http://fldoe.org
Ron,

Seminole a magnet school with programs that are on the college level and classes aimed at the health industry. This is what should have been the goal in years past to help students get a leg up in the field of their choice.

The City of Lake Mary is ranked as one of the 100 best cities in the U.S. and the Schools are known far and wide as good schools.

I have family currently attending Seminole High and the kids graduated from Lake Mary in the late 90's and 2004.

Hope this helps,

Broker Dave
GRI, ePRO, Real Estate Broker & Realtor

Visit my Bio located here on Trulia, just scroll your mouse over my picture and left click, also visit my website for our short sale information center, complete foreclosure list and innovative tools helping with your real estate decision in the Central Florida area.

Community & Family Values
Web Reference: http://OrlandoHomeStore.com
Ron, It depends on what you are looking for? Seminole High School has an outstanding Pre-IB program as well as a health academy however some parents get concerned about their location. Lake Mary High is a great school located in a better area of town however it lacks some of the programs which are offered by Seminole High. So it depends. If your child is able to get into the Pre-IB programs I would probably recommend Seminole High, however he they can't I would recommend Lake Mary. My wife, Anne-Marie, who was born and raised in Seminole county and was a school teacher locally before we had kids could be a good resource in helping you make the right decision. You may reach her at 407-399-2000. Visit our website below.
Hi Ron,

Thank you for your question!

As a Real Estate professional, there is no way for me (or any agent, for that matter) to say which school is "better." Both Lake Mary High School (my alumni in 1988) and Seminole High School have a variety of programs and opportunities that they provide to Seminole County students.

Seminole High School is a magnet school with an IB Program and the Health Academy, which is ideal for students interested in pursuing a career in the medical field. Lake Mary High School has a great reputation for their Media Production program as well as a exceptional academic program.

I would highly recommend that you visit each school with your child and determine for yourself which school best meets you child's interests.

Please let me know if I can help further as I have a 14 year-old son myself and have looked into all of the high schools in Seminole County and would be happy to share my personal insight...

P.S. On a side-note, my son was just accepted to Lyman High School's Institute of Engineering...which is also a magnet program within Seminole County Public Schools.

I look forward to hearing back from you!

LaShawn Norden, PA, REALTOR
RE/MAX Central Realty
(321) 377-0157 mobile
LaShawn@LaShawnNorden.com
Hmmm - great question. I guess the qualifier would be, "What is important to you about a school".

Chris