Schools in Kensington>Question Details

N, Other/Just Looking in Oakland, CA

Where do most kids from Kensington Elem. go to next? Any recommendations?

Asked by N, Oakland, CA Sun Apr 5, 2009

--
This question is about Kensington Elementary School: http://www.trulia.com/schools/CA-Kensington/Kensington_Eleme…

Answers

3
I live in El Cerrito within walking distance of the public middle school and my son is having a good experience. The students are in a temporary campus right now and there are around 500 students (half the size of a typical middle school). My kid take the "advanced" classes which are very challenging for him and he has made a lot of friends. Every year, Portola students do well in the science fair, there is a weekly math club. P.E. takes place in the same playing fields used by Prospect-Sierra and through a joint use agreement with the city, students swim during P.E. at the EC pool. The band program has been internationally recognized and the drama program is excellent. They put on an annual production. There are also electives in computers, leadership, and art. There is a very active PTA that raises a lot of money for classroom "extras", a noontime crafts activity program, and a parent education workshop series. Next year they are exploring offering advanced Spanish to better integrate students from Washington elementary because they have a dual immersion program. No school is perfect but for my son, it's been fine.
I understand your situation being a Kensington resident myself. Some parents choose to enroll their
child in private school in middle school and high school. Or try to transfer their child to another school
district. Or move to another community such as Orinda or Moraga. Even Danville.
Interesting that nobody has answered this question - perhaps because it is bad news. Why do you suppose the professionals are not jumping in to answer your question better than I can? They seem to be pretty helpful when comes to selling something.

Anyway, from what I understand the middle school available to Kensington is "bad news" - it is not part of Kensington but is in, or about, El Cerrito. I had one parent relate a story of violence and mayhem.

I bought a house in the Thousand Oaks area of Berkeley (right next door) and wish I had access to Kensington elementary (do they let anybody else in?). But even Berkeley is understood to have a better alternative to middle school than Kensington. Not sure about the high school though.