Schools in Manchester>Question Details

Amy Huson, Other/Just Looking in Carlisle, PA

What are the schools like in Manchester?

Asked by Amy Huson, Carlisle, PA Sat Jun 16, 2012

Answers

3
The schools at best are below average. Board of ed. gives them a D. Its filled with favoritism and nepotism. Their is no diversity which so ever. I was forced to leave the district due to over 100 emails from teachers and administration. If you do not play their game or are part of the loop your child could be in for a vey long time
The schools are at best, average. They school taxes are high and the return is marginal. If you are unwilling to be your child's advocate, the child will be herded into the student body and simply forgotten about. Unfortunately, many of the teachers attended the very schools where they now teach so new ideas and experiences simply aren't available to integrate into the educational system. They recently announced the appointment of the new supervisor - someone already within the system (a former teacher and asst superintendent). They have consistently hired from within which results in employment inbreeding - again, no outside influence. Unfortunately, this is the overall mentality of the community as a whole. It is a small school system, total enrollment is less than many urban/larger suburban high schools and yet there is a disproportionate number of administrators. Why does this matter? The district is cash strapped; the school taxes are very high, and a large chunk goes to salaries. After 19 years, we moved out of the district and I have not regretted it.
I, personally, have have an overall very good experience with the Northeastern School District. My daughter has gone to Conewago Elementary, Orendorff Elementary & Shallow Brook Intermediate and my step son went to the Middle and High Schools and graduated this past June. There are interventionists to help children that struggle with certain subjects, and a very good job is done of not making a spectacle or example of them. The only problem I found was, that the teachers didn't seem to be very proactive or aware that after 3 years of my daughter having to meet with RTI (Response To Intervention) and my questioning the teachers that she had not been tested for LD (Learning Disability). Only because of my pressure and due diligence, she was tested and found to have an LD in math & reading comprehension, but once the problem was identified the IEP (Individual Education Program) was quickly and effectively put into action. As a result she has improved immensely and is almost on level. So, I would say a 4 out of 5 star review. BIGGEST COMPLAINT THO IS THAT THEY MAKE THE CHILDREN GO OUTSIDE FOR RECESS WHEN IT IS JUST TOO COLD OUT. As cold as 30 degrees, and with the wind chill around here, its torture if you ask me. AND THERE WAS NO OPTION TO STAY INSIDE IN THE GYM OR CAFETERIA OR ANYTHING. THEY WERE FORCED TO SIT OUT IN THE BITTER, BONE CHILLING WEATHER.